Unknown frame, sn on drop out, canti bridge, Merlin??

dazaa

Dirt Disciple
I just got my hands on this but I'm not sure what it is. It's light and there aren't any dents in the frame, the forks have air valves and don't appear to have leaking seals so I figured it was worth a punt for them alone. The serial number TA17010336 is stamped on the nds drop out. I thought it may be a merlin but it seems they put their sn's on the inside of the drop out? Any ideas on the frame or fork? The forks look marzocchi to me, but the hole in the crown says otherwise?

Re:

I wish it was a dale but alas not, welds aren't smooth enough (although I must admit the rear drop out welds are pretty damn smooth)

Any clue on the forks?

Re:

Could be merlin, drop outs look similar is that drop out weld running along the top if the chainstay? Looks like it could be but with alot of paint making it look smoother! mine is later no canti hanger though. Sn on bb on mine.

Definitely a Bomber....has the "M" arch.
Doubt if anybody would paint a Merlin like that though...or put a Pig headset on it :)

Re:

Forks look like a 2003 marzocchi bomber, I don't know about the frame but I suspect you've got yourself a stolen bike there. I doubt that anyone that owns a bike legally would f*ck it up that bad.... But that's just my opinion :)

Sean

It came from an auction, so no worries about ownership ect.
The forks are indeed 03 bombers, awesome, just a shame the original red paint was stripped off.
At some point it has been loved, the paint (or what's left of it) was done very well (looks like etch primer underneath) and not just spray bombed over whatever it was. Surly chain tensioner, mavic rims on deore hubs, nice identiti seat post, pig headset ect.

Perhaps if I stripped some of the paint off I may find some more clues?

Re:

Paint stripper and polish I say!
Cable runs are also different to mine but could be an early one.
Got a pic of the drive side drop out and the welding around the headtube to top and down tubes?

Latest posts

Back