Unidentified / Mystery Full Suspension Early / Mid 90's

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
Came across this here. Messaged the seller to see in person. Some sort of soft tail with drive-side top tube cable routing and interesting rear dropouts. Assuming the drive train is original, the bike is a 3x8. The soft tail looks to be worn / sagging /tired. Any ideas? This is the only clear photo by the seller! The Unidentified thread looks to be nuked so posting here. Thank you!

Mystery Soft Tail.jpg
Mystery Soft Tail 02.jpg

Thanks for chiming in. I think the Moots YBB is titanium as well plus the color and seat stays are totally different. I have no idea...but also not many builders did something like this, a soft tail.

I checked the 1994 Bike Markt annual, with no luck in the frame section 😕

Looks to me like a Yoan with Columbus steel tubing.
Not a real softail as there are bearings behind the bottom braket and at the dropouts.

Last edited:
Looks to me like a Yoan with Columbus steel tubing.
Not a real softail as there are bearings behind the bottom braket and at the dropouts.
How did you find something similar so fast? I think you have found the frame and maker. Looks like the one in the link you provided is a larger size and thus slightly different in the seat stay to the one I posted above.

"Softtail"...I am not sure what this type of bike is called? Is it a dedicated rear suspension and thus a full suspension bike? Thanks for looking into this!

A soft tail uses the frame flex as 'the pivot' , not fixed pivot.
It would be a standard rear suspension otherwise.

(other industries may vary)

A soft tail uses the frame flex as 'the pivot' , not fixed pivot.
It would be a standard rear suspension otherwise.
Thanks, that's what I have meant.
This Yoan looks like Softails like the YBB, but is technically, other than the position of the damper, a typical full suspension.
Sure, it doesn't really matters how it's been called.

@MuchAlohaNui is this something you have bought or have you been interested just out of curiosity?
I would say this is an intresting bike. Personally I don't think I need one.

Thanks, that's what I have meant.
This Yoan looks like Softails like the YBB, but is technically, other than the position of the damper, a typical full suspension.
Sure, it doesn't really matters how it's been called.

@MuchAlohaNui is this something you have bought or have you been interested just out of curiosity?
I would say this is an intresting bike. Personally I don't think I need one.
I just realized that you posted in the above German thread regarding a similar frame, but with more information. As anyone, I am always looking for a diamond in the rough. Who knows?

I am in talks with the owner hoping to squeeze out a bit more information, maybe a serial number and better pictures. The price is cheap enough to buy for parts at the very least. Though, on the other hand he is located just far enough away that the effort may not be worth it. Hopefully he gets back to me soon. I'll update with more info if I get some!

Last edited:
Back