Understanding Engineers...

ok thanks for the advice guys, i ideally want to go into welder fabrication, will have to find a course that suits. i can do all the maths and science but dont have much interest in doing it. i will try for uni me thinks :) i already have a first certificate and national diploma in manufacturing engineering (mechanical, i had to do it like that or else people say 'your a mechanic', NO!) and a city and guilds level 1 mig welding.

cyfa2809":2afao5jj said:
nice! :LOL: was your engineers degree easy enough i.e. not too hard for the right minded person? im thinking of going uni...

I did Mechanical Engineering and it is quite hard. Lots of Maths, Fluid Dynamics, Finite Element Analysis, Thermodynamics etc etc equations that are worthy of any boffin

and then most people think of Mechanical Engineers as Mechanics :roll: the most common being, "oooh you'll be good with the cars then" (well i am actually, but you'd be surprised how many on my course didn't know how an internal combustion engine works!)

Doesn't help that a lot of technician jobs are called engineers now, and of course the good old Refuse engineers" :LOL:

I'm not a snob about it though, just find it amusing how we have degraded the word engineering here, while in many other countries they are highly respected.

Easy_Rider":1ugxnt8z said:
and then most people think of Mechanical Engineers as Mechanics :roll:

Yep, pees me off too.

Them: "These lights need fixing!"
Me: "I can rewire the building, I'm an Electrical Engineer"
Them: "That's no good, we need an electrician"
Me: "Yes, I agree I'm incompetent. I only design bits for airliners after all...no way will I be able to do a decent job in something as complicated as lights." :roll:

Don't know how to do a link but You tube search .. Dilbert 'The Knack'
Made me laugh ........ and yes I have it too. :D

A mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer, a chemical engineer and a computer engineer were driving down the street one day, when the car the were travelling in broke down. The mechanical engineer said, "I think a rod broke." The chemical engineer said, "The way it sputtered at the end, I don't think it's getting any petrol." The electrical engineer said, "I think there was a spark and something is wrong with the electrical system." All three turned to the computer engineer and said, "What do you think?" The computer engineer replied, "I think we should all get out and get back in."

Latest posts

Back