Ultimate retro mud-plugger?

The front end after swapping flats for risers felt very, very quick steering. As the forks needed a service anyway, I pulled the legs off, removed the 20mm spacer from the air side and am now running 100mm of travel. Hopefully it’ll ride better, but that is a lot of travel on a ‘97 frame!

The chainstay is still roughly horizontal and I’ve got 20mm static sag.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpeg
    IMG_2359.jpeg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 11
I’m still loving this. The combination of a top spec frame, forks and brakes with shitty wheels and drivetrain means than I can grind through the sandy slurry without getting hung up on wrecking it. Honestly in the space of just a couple of months riding, there is noticeable wear to the rims. Also, not having any gears means that there are no issues even in the thickest gloopiest mud. I just need to man-up to be able to keep turning the wheels 🤣

Here's mine - 1997 Marin hawk hill.

I added a rear disc brake adapter, disc (rigid) fork and mudguards, and it's good for riding in terrible conditions and not worrying about too much.

I don't get on with SS in my local terrain at all, day I'm running 3x8 drivetrain - cheap to replace and there isn't much else to wear out on the bike. If my terrain (and fitness!) allowed, I'd go SS.

PXL_20231126_145044311.jpg

Back