Tyres, Tyres Tyres

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
I'm in the market for some new tyres for my bontrager. Its got a smoke/dart combo on at the moment, which look nice but are a bit underwhelming in the "stopping me from dying" department.

I'm looking for some tyres that I can actually use off road and am interested in peoples experiences of the Rider T1 tyre from Terra one or the Rene Herse humptulips. The Terra 1's are good chunk cheaper than Rene Herse, which is a factor.

Are there any other good off road options out there at the moment? Preference is for amberwall.

So these, I feel, are the main two options in the modern tire department after the aforementioned Smoke/Dart repros.

I too fancy the Tulips; I like the bulbous (pun!) look and they look comfy as hell. Bit concerned by lack of tread on the tire edges, but I think they'd work nicely for a gentle, easy rider.

But...

The price!

$200 on tires is asking a lot.

T1s on the other hand are super affordable and seem like a good shout for a regular off-road rider. Aesthetically they don't set the world alight, but I've been really pleased with mine. They feel secure on loose, dry trails, but obviously out here things are mostly sandy and so not sure how they'd fair in the wet mud of back home?

No complaints here. And I'm already looking to order a couple of extra sets for other riders and as backups.

Last edited:
Thanks. Agree the humptulips are crazy expensive, and good to hear good experiences with the terra 1's. I'll probably give them a go

Anyone have problems ordering Terra 1's from the website? I ordered 2 sets three weeks ago and they still have not arrived. Sent a few emails to him and no response. If you know this guy can you give him a nudge? He's not making a friend here.

I am in the US. I do buy stuff there when I need a hard to find item, didn't see you had them. Would have saved me some money on shipping too. Next sets will be through your site and likely some parts as well. And thanks again for contacting Terrance for me.

Anyone have problems ordering Terra 1's from the website? I ordered 2 sets three weeks ago and they still have not arrived. Sent a few emails to him and no response. If you know this guy can you give him a nudge? He's not making a friend here.
Hello MB,

Sorry about the poor communication and slow shipment. It has been a crazy couple of weeks here.

As Jeff noted, normally it would be better to order through SRP for deliveries in tre USA. Your order came during a time in which he was effectively sold out, and it wasn’t yet clear how soon he would receive more.

I trust by now that you have received either the shipment confirmation through WordPress/WooCommerce or the email I personally sent from info@rideterraone.com with the tracking number. If not, feel free to contact me here.

Your order and your patience are both highly appreciated. I hope that once the package arrives, your expectations will be exceeded. If not, please let me know.

All the best,
Terrance Malone
Terra One GmbH

I always liked smoke and dart first time around and find them fine now too, have they changed? They feel predictably sketchy to me, not like a modern tyre, like a retro tyre. Keeps you on your toes. Jumping from a modern bike to a retro bike on the same trail is interesting!

Back