Two P7 frames for rebuilding!

crazyviolinguy

Retro Newbie
Hello Bike Chat '98!

I wonder if I could find some information about these two P7 frames that I have. I am about to rebuild one of them, as a theft robbed me of my 2001 P7. The closest frames I've been able to find by way of replacements are these two.

I believe they are both from 1997 or 1998, but I am not sure. There are some differences which I noticed, and they interested me.

So the Black one's frame number is A41002483 (Which confused me as the first digit is supposed to denote year, and 4 would be 1994). It has a rear-facing seat post slot (I understand they may have put together bits and bobs in the factory, but still..), it does not have any of the diamond shaped bottle-cage mounts (as you can see in the photo), and the frame tubes seem to be the same diameter as those of my old 2001 P7. I remember it had a frame number starting with 'A'. It also has a totally smooth tube where the headset is seated on the top and bottom. It has rack braze ons.

The Orange-coloured frame might be from a different factory, the number is MT71003050, it has diamond shaped bottle braze ons, a forward-facing seat post slot, two little drain holes under the bottom bracket. It's headset tube has slightly thicker, stepped ends, where the fork and the steerer go into the top and bottom. It also doesn't have rack braze ons.

I also noticed that the top tube and down tube seem to be of a slightly larger diameter. They sound higher in tone when you flick them.

So if anyone knows about these frames I'd be glad for any information. Why are the tubes different? Why does the Orange coloured frame seem to be made with slightly more care in the welding and details? Which year might they have been made?

Any info greatly appreciated, to help me decide which to build into my everyday town/touring bike. I would need to get a chainstay bridge welded onto either of them, and the orange frame would need braze ons to accommodate a rack.

I thought the wisest idea would be to sell the Orange MTB frame as it is really in great condition, and use the black frame as an everyday bike. They are both lovely, but the fizzy Orange frame is just beautiful, and I am leaning towards rebuilding it.

Sorry about the not too great photos!

Darius

Attachments

• P7.jpg
    P7.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 489
  • P7a.jpg
    P7a.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 489
  • P7b.jpg
    P7b.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 489
  • P7c.jpg
    P7c.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 489
The orange one looks identical to mine. Mine is also a '97 serial number. From what I've seen most times year to market is often year after manufacture.

The Team Orange was a 1998 colour. 97 & 98 catalogue mention seat tube ovalised at BB for P7. Mine is round. Go figure.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=394710

I agree....the orange Orange is a 98 built in 97. The fwd facing cutout in the seatpost means 98 model onward. Disc mounts from 2000 on and I think the cable bosses on the top tube moved around then too.

Back