trying to revive an old (cheap) cycle computer

GoldCrest1

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I have a old cycle computer i'm trying to revive. Changing the battery seems to have made no difference.
After a while, things flickered on the display screen, then it seemed to work normally, where I set both the m/KM screen and wheel size. By the time I adjusted the clock later on, the screen faded out and went blank.
This has happened a few other times where it will eventually fade out. I noticed that tapping the screen on something hard can kick some life into the display but it is inconsistent and fades out.

The contacts inside don't seem to be visually damaged and look clean with no corrosion.

What might be the issue? Is it fixable?

Attachments

• IMG_5909.JPG
    IMG_5909.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5908.JPG
    IMG_5908.JPG
    484 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5907.JPG
    IMG_5907.JPG
    745.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5906.JPG
    IMG_5906.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 14
the contact on this is by the back pushing the battery down, if it. Try a bit of folder paper to add some pressure, usually that large gold bit is a slightly sprung metal surface.

the contact on this is by the back pushing the battery down, if it. Try a bit of folder paper to add some pressure, usually that large gold bit is a slightly sprung metal surface.
thank you for your reply. Do you mean the back of the battery cover is where the contact is?

The large gold circle doesn't seem to move or be sprung. The three silver battery contacts around look to be attached to an outer silver ring.

I folded some paper between the battery and cover and the display worked again but whilst adjusting the time, it once again faded out.

No, the contacts are as you expect, the back is just a bit that pushes it onto the large gold contact (negative).

LR44 can be an arse, check they are flat at the back, any bowing means it is on it way out.
A mulitmeter to check the voltage or other batteries (just to rule it out)?

Back