Trying to recreate old Kona feel

Steelkilf

Retro Newbie
Hi all

Im try to recreate the feeling of my old Kona lava dome from 1997 pic is not of mine but it's the same one

398125-c5c630b7a96a9a1565ca63a1ca18cbe6.png
Cuz I'm fussy and not very handy I managed to get this Sanderson steel frame brand new I'm going to get all the parts from my 2012 KHS put on it for now but I'd like some ideas on finding kit please as I'm clueless
Thinking maybe the ritchey classic flat bars stem and seatpost any advice or thoughts greatly received Screenshot_20230225-110941.png

1.jpg

If you want the feel of a 1997 Lava Dome, I think that you're best off getting a 1997 Lava Dome. Sanderson made nice frames but, if you're constantly wishing it was something else, you're not going to appreciate it for what it is and that would be a shame. No matter what you bolt on to it, it's unlikely to feel like your old Lava Dome. To use a cooking analogy, if you take all the accompaniments to a fish dish and add them to a beef dish, it isn't going to make the beef taste like fish. Likewise with your Sanderson. In general, I think it's best to look for something good in each frame's individual characteristics, build in a complementary way, and enjoy the variety.

I think a rigid fork would help towards the feel of the older Kona, I have run an Exotic carbon rigid fork on a few newer frames to keep the bike lighter and handling similarly. Great forks in my opinion.

Yeah, rigid as mk one says. Depending on how long the Sanderson top tube is - get a decent long low stem for that stretched-out Kona feel too!

Latest posts

Back