Tricycle experience ?

squirrelchaser

Old School Grand Master
Hi all , has anyone had experience of riding a tricycle on the road recently ? I want one but modern road user attitudes give me cause for concern . Any words of wisdom would be appreciated .

I ride a Longstaff two wheel drive trike and a Rogers differential drive trike regularly on main roads and also ride Audax and Time Trials on 3 wheels with no problems as such, I think most car drivers assume I'm disabled so tend to be a little more patient :LOL: that said, I was hit by a car earlier in the year but walked away with just a couple of bruised/broken ribs , the driver had his licence revoked due to being as blind as a bat :rolleyes: The one problem I do regularly have is blind bends on country lanes, mainly right handers when car drivers assume that because they can not see anything it must mean their isn't anything so straddle the white line only to find some old codger hanging off the side of his trike whilst cornering 😲

IMG_0479.jpeg

I ride a Longstaff two wheel drive trike and a Rogers differential drive trike regularly on main roads and also ride Audax and Time Trials on 3 wheels with no problems as such, I think most car drivers assume I'm disabled so tend to be a little more patient :LOL: that said, I was hit by a car earlier in the year but walked away with just a couple of bruised/broken ribs , the driver had his licence revoked due to being as blind as a bat :rolleyes: The one problem I do regularly have is blind bends on country lanes, mainly right handers when car drivers assume that because they can not see anything it must mean their isn't anything so straddle the white line only to find some old codger hanging off the side of his trike whilst cornering 😲

View attachment 670542
That looks like quite a thump you got . Glad you're more or less ok .
I have to say my confidence/worries are not improved !

Generally I have no problem with motorists, the fact that you are riding something different tends to get you noticed and the width of the trike tends to deter most silly overtake attempts also the driver that hit me would have done so whether I was on a bike or an a trike as he was literally as blind as a bat . I would suggest that if you could try a racing trike out before buying then do so as they are nothing like a bike to ride and some people find that it's not for them .

Generally I have no problem with motorists, the fact that you are riding something different tends to get you noticed and the width of the trike tends to deter most silly overtake attempts also the driver that hit me would have done so whether I was on a bike or an a trike as he was literally as blind as a bat . I would suggest that if you could try a racing trike out before buying then do so as they are nothing like a bike to ride and some people find that it's not for them .
That's a good point , leaning the opposite way in corners .......
Thanks

Back