Trek 950 1996

Daz.

Dirt Disciple
This is my Trek 950 1996 model which I got in 1997.

Bike%201.jpg

Bike%202.jpg

It was used extensively in the late 1990's and early 2000 then was laid up in a mates garage and left for about 17 years. It's not in bad condition, it has some knocks from my use and a few from storage. The paint is pretty good but has wrincked in a few places.

Bike%204.jpg

I've replaced the tyres with as close to the original as I could find. The Dry Ice Black paint option came with Grey tread with skin wall Panaracer Dart 2's on the front and Smoke 2's on the rear. I managed to find Kenda tyres with the same tread as the Dart 2's in all grey but nothing to match the Smoke 2's. They don't look too far off the originals.

The plan is to make some updates here and there.

I would like to change to a suspension fork set up. I considered a period set of forks used by other models in the Trek range but from what I've read I think I may be disappointed going down that route. As an alternative I've been looking into modern shocks. I've always wanted to get a pair of Rock Shox, I've been looking at RockShox Recon Silver in black that should match quite well.

This leads on to another upgrade; brakes, modern shocks, from what I've seen don't have the cable hanger for cantilevers so I'd need to go down the V Brake route. This was a mod I was kind of planning anyway so it fits in. I have some M739 Deore XT period V brakes and some new T780 Deore XT current V brakes. I read the parallel push M739's can be noisy so may be I'll go with the modern ones.

The 950 came with Deore LX M567 integrated shifters and brakes which are for canti's, I have a pair of M739 Deore XT integrated shifters and brakes to swap over to handle the V Brakes.

Modern shock also would mean changing from a threaded headset to aheadset which I prefer anyway.

The other thing on my hit list are the peddles, they are pretty much the worst part. They are a bit rough. I'm thinking of some combo peddles, flat on one side and SPD on the other. I may stick with the toe clips for a while.

Lastly a new front derailer as the STX RC one has picked up a bit of corrosion. I'm thinking of a NOS M739 Deore XT.

I'm replacing the brake and shifter cables as the originals are a bit rusty here and there.

Other than that little list I'm planning on putting some miles on it again.

Re:

The photo hides a few of the "usage" marks but its survived the years pretty well.

Lovely looking bike. I had a set of grey tyres on my grey Marin, and they looked great, not seen any since that colour so might have a look again now..

Re:

Thanks Paul it's got a bit of metallic fleck in it, not loads just enough not to be solid black.

I have Pretty much the same Trek mine is from 1995 coloured ice Copper. I have many bikes but the 950 i love most. It is a very good bike. I changed the stem to ahead with an adapter and added a vintage dh bar to rise the Cockpit a bit.
In your place i would not change the fork, be happy that you have the original fork for the frame which is very nice.

Re:

Quadra 5 was the SHX version fork, I'd probably avoid them since you have choice now.

newer forks always give the problem of longer length. a shorter stem will help reduce that's but it still puts the bottom bracket up high and alters the angles.
Still I have one or two like that and you get used to it.

Of course, with canti's and levers and fork, stems and stuff now sat in a box, you'll erm need a new frame to stick them on.

I'm assuming you found the catalogues, but if not the tech ones are always great.
http://www.vintage-trek.com/trek-fisher ... lemond.htm

P.S. Thee are a few of us down in and near Hull, not many rides put on at the moment as everyone is busy.
There are also a few others scattered around the county too.

Re:

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have a deeper look into the shocks. What ever I do will always be reversible, I won't be getting rid of any of the original components.

I did think about another frame and building that with the new components but storage space is at a premium and I have enough trouble finding time to fit riding one bike in alongside of other hobbies and commitments.

Thanks for the link, I had seen it before but to be honest I'd forgotten about it, so thanks that is very useful.

Good to know there are others local :D

Back