Trackpumps….

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is a short thread for anyone obsessive on Retrobike…..shit….I forgot….that’s everyone.

Well…I began to get all detailed about a year ago when the leather washer in my Silca Pista split, no one could supply a washer and I eventually found an OEM NOS in the States, which cost more than the pump did, Sigh. But at least it was up and running again. It’s far stiffer in operation than it was, and I think the washer has a breaking in period. Damn good pump.

Whilst the Pista was sitting all sad and broken in the workshop, friend Ant from Truewheels in Brighton gave me a Pearson aluminium pump - nice thing with a horrible plastic chuck. I thought I was doing the right thing by replacing it with a TruFlo HIRO copy but actually it’s rubbish. Really and truly rubbish. My son endlessly complains about it….and he’s right. I might toy with a Leyne chuck for that one.

Then last week the stars aligned and a person on eBay posted a nameless pump, possibly working possibly not, said they knew nothing about it but it clearly was a wooden handled white gauge SKS Rennkompressor. Took a punt and thought a rebuild might be needed (knowing that the 40mmm washers are hard to come by) and got it for 20gbp. Arrived today and goodness I had forgotten what nice things they are. Did a quick service on it rather than a full rebuild and boy it’s a superior thing. Even the chuck washer is OK, and the main washer is perfectly good…..I think it’s better than the expensive lezynes and far cheaper than the 450gbp new Silca Superpista,,,,

Attachments

• 34543A34-92AB-467D-9943-2D0B8E38D905.jpeg
    34543A34-92AB-467D-9943-2D0B8E38D905.jpeg
    527 KB · Views: 29
This is a short thread for anyone obsessive on Retrobike…..shit….I forgot….that’s everyone.

Well…I began to get all detailed about a year ago when the leather washer in my Silca Pista split, no one could supply a washer and I eventually found an OEM NOS in the States, which cost more than the pump did, Sigh. But at least it was up and running again. It’s far stiffer in operation than it was, and I think the washer has a breaking in period. Damn good pump.

Whilst the Pista was sitting all sad and broken in the workshop, friend Ant from Truewheels in Brighton gave me a Pearson aluminium pump - nice thing with a horrible plastic chuck. I thought I was doing the right thing by replacing it with a TruFlo HIRO copy but actually it’s rubbish. Really and truly rubbish. My son endlessly complains about it….and he’s right. I might toy with a Leyne chuck for that one.

Then last week the stars aligned and a person on eBay posted a nameless pump, possibly working possibly not, said they knew nothing about it but it clearly was a wooden handled white gauge SKS Rennkompressor. Took a punt and thought a rebuild might be needed (knowing that the 40mmm washers are hard to come by) and got it for 20gbp. Arrived today and goodness I had forgotten what nice things they are. Did a quick service on it rather than a full rebuild and boy it’s a superior thing. Even the chuck washer is OK, and the main washer is perfectly good…..I think it’s better than the expensive lezynes and far cheaper than the 450gbp new Silca Superpista,,,,
I admire your dedication to the art of pumping. Dare I ask if you also own one of those 'value for money' Campagnolo corkscrews?

I admire your dedication to the art of pumping. Dare I ask if you also own one of those 'value for money' Campagnolo corkscrews?
Ah ... know where you’re going ... that would be silly ... I want a good pump from a company which makes pumps.

This is what I have for opening wine. 1661072019045.jpeg

I had a plastic Madison one for about 25 years sadly it died about 2 weeks ago while trying to fit Tubeless tyres to my Gravel bike. So I went and got a nice red Topeak Joe Blow thingy.

I had a plastic Madison one for about 25 years sadly it died about 2 weeks ago while trying to fit Tubeless tyres to my Gravel bike. So I went and got a nice red Topeak Joe Blow thingy.
Had my Joe Blow for about 15 years, it’s a bit of a triggers broom but I bought a Topeak workshop spares box for a fiver a few years back so it should see me out.

By far the best thing you can do to any track pump is change the hose for one that is long enough to reach a bike on a workstand - game changer!

Premium air? If you aren't feeding in the correct mix of oxygen, nitrogen and trace elements then your pump is going to die quickly. To combat this I'm now selling premium air. Really easy to use, you get a can that you open near the base of your pump before you start, it will calibrate the air ratio for you.

Sorry to say its a one time product right now, but I'll be doing it in a handy 24 can pack to reduce packaging. I'm working on a reusable one though.

Back