track lugs?

I wasn't thinking of passing off, of course..just that there are so many interesting avenues that have been tried and rejected in the name of easy manufacturing or taste.
Current commercial products, and to some extent the 'art-house' builders of today are so conservative, given the rich history of experimentation and invention in steel frames. The deadening hand of the UCI has killed off so much these days.. :twisted: bah humbug
I've always had a soft spot for spindly tubes...how about the Bugatti bike:
velobug_zps1939dd24.jpg

All the best,

Dan, There were no patents on the Thanet, I officially bought the remains of the business in 1958, and if anyone wishes to be mad enough to reproduce these heaps they are welcome. Very difficult to build without the jigs, of which I had 2, one was at rotrax.
The only things I have from then are 2 long dormer 1/4 inch HSS drill bits, which were used for inserting the 1/4 inch tubes below the bottom bracket and the seat tube joint. And half a tin of easyflo flux, which still works.The various front and rear carriers you may see were made from the same material, using a plumbers pipe bender.
The frames were siver brazed using J & M easyflow 60% silver, and containing cadmium. The 2 main tubes were under specified, being 1", and used to break about half way down the down tube.
Whether Rotrax used silver I cannot say.
I found that riding these things was different, very soft and the bottom bracket swings sideways alarmingly. Most of the original users were gentle pedalling middle aged tourist types.
The bottom headlug was made fron a top headlug with a v cut out and rewelded to make the angle.

Keith

Thanks for that,Keith.
I think I'd probably go up a little on the tube diameters for a neo-retro version. Combining TIG and fillet rather than lugs, but still in the spirit of the design.

I rode one of Charles Cleghorn's Silverlights after repairing it, and quite liked the ride.
Then again, I was riding a Vitus 979 at the time, so it didn't feel weird to me. ;)

All the best,

Back