Touring on a Racer

hamster":1d91av9w said:
The short chainstays can make heel clearance a problem with panniers, while the racier geometry can make the handling tetchy when loaded.

As yours is a copy version you have the best chance as the geometry was probably slackened to make it appeal to ordinary punter.

In the end the only way is to give it a try. Another alternative to consider is a Carradice saddlebag, which seems to affect handling less and will not cause odd frame flex.

Hi phoog has posted a pic of his Racer with a seat post rack and panniers on and i already have one and will try it latter on , but i do thank you for your advice ,very best wishes Brian.

Re:

Hi well i managed to fit it but putting it on the seat post made the seat to high ,so i have put it on the upright post which seems to be ok ,and if i make two brackets it should be secure. sorry about the poor qaulity pics

Get some Axiom eyelets (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/a ... -set-of-4/) and the load is applied directly to hubs instead of the frame although I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I'm sure the loads from a professional sprinting far exceed those from a rack being pedalled slowly uphill (taking 753 as a worst case example). I toured on a 531 race frame using p clips to mount a rear rack about 20yrs ago without much of a problem

Pionir you miss the point:
1 Racing bikes are not designed for heavy loads on the back: fast-handling geometry is lovely on an unloaded bike but gives the thing a mid of its own when loaded.
2 The frame needs to resist different twisting loads from panniers and rack. Again handling suffers.
3 Light wheels with severe dish are fragile. You cannot unweight them on obstacles.
4 Agreed that pro sprinting is a severe test, but the rider is able to balance the bike and is part of the frame loading, unlike the dead weight of a rack and load. Road sprints are burst of a few seconds, not an entire day.

The OP will probably be fine with a light load, but it's a compromise at the expense of handling and durability. That's why touring bikes are rather more than simply a road bike with a rack. Ultralight high-end road frames are least suitable; entry-level road frames which tend to be made of thicker tubing and with more docile steering are much better.

surely this is the perfect excuse for another project? classic 531 touring frames, esp the st tubeset, are out there and tend not to get so inflated in price.

:LOL:
Velodiversity":1fc5fwfl said:
surely this is the perfect excuse for another project? classic 531 touring frames, esp the st tubeset, are out there and tend not to get so inflated in price.

Pionir":3b40i91c said:
Get some Axiom eyelets (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/a ... -set-of-4/) and the load is applied directly to hubs instead of the frame although I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I'm sure the loads from a professional sprinting far exceed those from a rack being pedalled slowly uphill (taking 753 as a worst case example). I toured on a 531 race frame using p clips to mount a rear rack about 20yrs ago without much of a problem

Hey thats excellent and is just what i am looking for even though the rack is very firmly attached and better if supported at the Hubs,thank very much and best wishes Brian.

Back