Tour of Yorkshire

Hitting the moors and there are some nice long gentle uphills to the top.
I thin Cow and Calf is in a different area ?
Assuming I have the right slingsby as google maps shows only one ;-)

Do this nice ride, head north to Kirkbymoorside and go through to Hutton le hole (stop and have a pint already if you want)
then head to Rosedale, but going via lastingham (another pint ? and almost in to Cropton, or do and grab another pint), should be nice.

then nip up this road
---
Rosedale Chimney, Rosedale Abbey, North York Moors
Rosedale Chimney, North Yorkshire Moors
Warning sign near the Rosedale Chimney in North Yorkshire Photograph: Mark Sunderland/Alamy
Few climbs have such a fearsome reputation as Rosedale Chimney, and rightly so. I snapped my chain not once but twice in my attempt to conquer this vicious stretch of tarmac. Leaving Rosedale Abbey, a sign warns you of the one-in-three – yes, one-in-three – gradient to come. This climb isn't for the faint-hearted. The surface is rough at first and steep from the outset, but improves as you pass over a cattlegrid and approach the double hairpin. The second bend here is so steep on the inside that it forces you far right, so take care. Now straightening up, the next stretch is ridiculously hard, the main problem here being just staying upright while either side of the road, sheep wait to see if yet another rider falls victim to the Chimney. Stick with it, as eventually the one-in-three does turn into a relatively gentle one-in-six, allowing you to build a little momentum to drag your bike up on to the moor.
Where From the bottom left corner of Rosedale Abbey leave the main road and turn south east on to Gill Lane, pass the giant warning sign, and head up. Grid Ref: SE 720 945 (OS94)
Length 1430m
Height gain 179m
Approx climb time 9 mins--

and turn right towards Lion Inn (for another pint), headback to hutton le hole on a nice long run and back home.

Re:

Now THAT sounds like a challenge! :shock: Unfortunately, I don't have a triple chainset! Unless I stick an mtb one on for that ride! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Well, the lowest I have on my road bikes is 39 x 23. Maybe put an mtb cassette on with a 28?

Re:

My steed is ready,

But am I? I can't wait to get there - travelling up tomorrow - and sample the delights of the Yorkshire Moors. Bottom gear is now 39x26. If that isn't enough, then I'm buggered! :LOL:

I'll try that route out FC, taking a map for when I get competely lost! :LOL: :LOL:
So if you see some old sod dressed up like an old pro,

Give me a toot/abuse ! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Unfortunately that's a common site around Yorkshire ;-)

Loads of old folk with all the kit an no idea :p

When do you head back home?

Re:

Well I have got an idea. I may just be lost! :facepalm:

We drive back a week today, mate

Mike

Re:

I can see on Google maps, that there is a car park at the top of the Chimney, to allow people to stop, point and laugh at another southern softie embarrassing himself on ( I hope ) a bike!
How thoughtful of the council to put it there!
Will be nice to see some hills. Had a very flat/boring drive up here today! Still, made good time, around 4 1/2 hrs

Mike

Re:

I have a few pictures of the steep leadup road to the bottom of Chimney Bank, unfortuntaly I spoil the picture by being layed out on across the road surrounded by Paramedics.

Have a good time :)

Was it Norton you where staying at ?

Sorry Slingsby still?

Re:

Oh dear, that sounds grim! :LOL: :LOL:

Yes , I'm in Slingsby now. Nice evening now the rain has come and gone.

Had a nice walk around Yorkshire Arboretum, Castle Howard when we got here. Apparently! :evil: :roll:
Still, it got rid of the numbness in my bony bum! :LOL: :LOL:
Saw a group of riders outside the local pub when I arrived. Hope to see some in the week, hopefully going slower than me but I am realistic
Fool, old, nothing, fool, like. Arrange as appropriate

Mike

Back