tour of Flanders

Sounds like a fantastic day out and the pro edition the next day was superb with the result in the balance until the last, really setting things up for Paris-Roubaix - will it spur Spartacus on for next weekend? Will Boonen bely his recent playboy/bridesmaid image and roll back the years? Will Gilbert or Chabanal be rewarded for their aggression? And what of Flecha and even Thomas?

As for the sportives, would really like a crack at RvV in 2012 and agree with Fraser that the once every two years Paris-Roubaix sportive is the one to aim for. Having never ridden cobbles before the 2010 edition I didn't really know what to expect but my understanding of what is possible on a road bike has been changed for ever - self-congratulatory report here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0 . Seriously, it's a long day out but well within range with a bit of training. It's pretty flat so very 52/42 friendly with no need for a knee friendly compact and I'd be up for a Retrobike roadtrip.....

monty dog":1d655znx said:
Perversely, I'd be tempted by Roubaix next year - the VC Roubaix 'proper' cyclo, not the concocted ASO "Roubaix-lite" version -
same here. As its in june, I'd be half fit. Would love to do flanders, but very little cycling in winter means I'm not fit for april. Just need to build up a retro road bike (shamefully, I havent got one now :oops: )
sounds like the ASO PR has gone tits up, route is shortened and theyre offering refunds.

Flanders was fantastic this year, a proper scorcher.

I'd recommend it to anyone, the 140k is plenty and the cobbles are much easier than Paris Roubaix.

Here's a couple of pictures of me on the Guerciotti:

sportograf-14019692.jpg

sportograf-14120226.jpg

The bike was flawless, very comfortable over the stones and the 8-speed Record is the best shifting I've ridden.

Looks great, and on a 'Gerry Cotti' too (my second decent bike was a Guerciotti badged Alan, full 600 groupset with yellow bartape and yellow Turbo. I thought I looked great on that bike. I didn't).

Back