Tour de Kent and Sussex

Re:

I don't know as I'd like a bivvy, I might find it a bit claustrophobic and the tent I have is quite nice. It's a North Face Tadpole that I've had for a good few years. It weighs about 2.5kg, I know there are lighter tents available now, but it isn't too bad and it pitches really quickly and easily.

It's supposed to be a 2 man tent, but you'd have to be pretty friendly with whoever you shared it with, OK if spoons is acceptable. I use it solo and use the extra space down one side for my gear as there really isn't much room in the "porch" outside the inner tent.

Yeah bivi bags do take a while to get used to , their a pig to get in and out off.
especially when every muscle is aching
A tent gives a feeling of safety and protection , its a compromise on weight really.
my bivis weight 480 grams sleeping mat 560 grams
2.5kg tent that's heavy your racks probably 2.5kg
Did it feel like you were pulling a caravan ?

Re:

Actually, I was quite pleased, it didn't seem to effect the handling much at all. I had the tent on the handlebars, the poles and pegs lashed to the top tube, sleeping bag, clothes, toothbrush, etc. on the rack. So I had the weight fairly evenly distributed over the bike, rather than all hanging on the rear rack as you would with panniers, in addition it was probably only 5 or 6 kilos in total.

I had another couple of kilos of stuff in a rucksack too, tools, pump, rain jacket, etc. and Ideally I would like to not have to use a rucksack, so I'll look into ways of having those things on the bike too next time.

Re: Re:

xerxes":518u0gpp said:
Thanks for the link, I'll bookmark that.

I ordered one of these yesterday: http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/ba ... edium.html. I'm hoping I can fit everything in it that I usually carry in a rucksack; If it arrives in time, I'll try it out this weekend.

Frame bags are great that one should do the trick. Ive toured with panniers and tents and heavy rucksacks ,its a young man's game.
They say you pack the same amount of gear for one night as you would five, Here's my setup for a night out, all Alpkit UK gear
[url=https://flic.kr/p/28BtapE][img...r.com/1789/43064566952_2a587c4d1f_c.jpg[/img]Alpkit Bags by Wholly Spokes, on Flickr[/url]

Re:

The frame bag arrived. Pretty much everything fits in it, apart from my rain jacket, so I'll have to find somewhere else to stash that.

The other issue I have, is that I have a titchy frame and I can't fit a frame bag in it along with a water bottle. I might be able fit a small bottle on the seat tube; I'll have to mess about with that.

Back