Tomac signature Mongoose/Merlin frame

swannymere

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
On eBay in California, I know nothing about these but curiosity got the better of me. So bike nerds, inform me!

Tomac Mongoose/Merlin

CE2F3584-97D0-4624-B1AB-928D3C65CAA8.png

FD1CB640-6937-449D-A196-1F4565EB97A8.png

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Rumpfy the guru’s, guru is an expert on these afaik. Think this might be crazy rare maybe one of 10 or 13 ever made 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

At the beginning Merlin didn't have the capacity to build 400 frames a year for other brands. Have a look on their frame no history
The former German Mongoose importer for example had not purchased a frame. There was no market for such high-priced mountain bikes back then. That changed with the MTB boom in 1991 onwards

Attachments

• IMG_5169.jpeg
    IMG_5169.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 11
That’s a 1990 Mongoose IBOC Signature, marketed after Tomac went to Yeti for a year.
Front triangle and 1/3 of chainstays are made by Merlin and are Ti.
Rear monostay, dropouts and 2/3 chainstays are steel, the tubing being Prestige.
The 1989 all Merlin Ti monostay frame is the Mongoose John Tomac Signature model.

Back