Today's Ride

Bit of a different one today -- my sister-in-law has expressed a wish to do some longer rides with me and turned up recently with a Scott Atacama hybrid as her preferred mount. It was in terrible shape -- neglected, rusty chain, seized fork, seized suspension seatpost, huge heavy rear rack.

I found a nice 700C Kona P2 fork for it, but it was disc-only, which meant a new front wheel and a new BB7 cable brake. Headset also needed replacing, so it was effectively a whole new front end. I replaced the hard, heavy tyres with some Pirelli Cinturato 35mms and a 'new' 26.8mm seatpost with a WTB saddle.

Today I spent rather a lot of time mucking about with the gears and brakes, so decided to give it a test ride on my usual dirt road outside town. It rode quite well, but the tyres needed less air, the BB7 took a while to dial in, and I just can't get the front derailleur to stop scraping on the chainrings in one gear or another. But it's close, so will have a fresh look before handing it back to the SIL.

16km, 211m climbing, nice sunny 20C weather.

IMG_2112.jpg

it was meant to be a short ride before lunch, but ended up a bit above 30km (and a bit waitong for me for the family... ☺️ )

661bb60aade683166da738bc.jpg

661bb609ade683166da73820.jpg

Unbelievable scenes. Not 1, but 2 off-road rides: last night and this morning. One was notably warmer than the other!

Very pleased that I haven't lost all of my diesel engine and could make the climbs. The new rubber is making a massive difference. Gone is the skittish feel. Bee is planted and feels stuck to the ground no matter the terrain and the amount of extra confidence I have now is crazy, even in 2 shortish rides. This season, weather permitting, is going to be blast...unlike the brand 👎

j9svlP.jpg

Hhnl7I.jpg

DhWfFR.jpg

These 2 were making a racket...why they were up there is a mystery. The lake is down in below 🤣

dW7ViQ.jpg

Back