Today's Ride

Yesterday saw me travel from Ardgay to Ullapool, mainly off-road....

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 17.42.30.jpeg

And what a day out it was, almost bit off more than I could chew though, was proper hard going! 😖

After leaving Argay at 1100 it was a 9.5 mile cycle out to the first point of interest, Croick Church, which has messages from those involved in the Clearances in 1845 scratched into the glass of the windows.

IMG_2798.jpeg

Here's a link from the official website:

From there it was on to the first gate of many I would encounter....

IMG_2800.jpeg

The track was good going to start with, the terrain changing dramatically over the 30 mile route.

IMG_2802.jpeg IMG_2803.jpeg

The weather was amazing, had my jacket off by the time I'd got to the church and it stayed off for the day. Butterflies, Bumble Bees, Red Kites, Buzzards and a Golden Eagle were all passers-by on my journey!

IMG_2805.jpeg IMG_2809.jpeg

By this point I really started to feel I was in the middle of nowhere, while I also noticed I'd used two of the four bars of battery.... oh bugger....

IMG_2810.jpeg IMG_2813.jpeg

Last edited:
The ground was getting boggy and wet, frogs and frog spawn in every puddle!

IMG_2814.jpeg

Stopped at the estate gate for my banana, but enjoying the isolation and scenery.

IMG_2817.jpeg

It was around this point that I started to question my own sanity, no matter in which direction I looked there was no sign of civilisation, just my own shadow for company!

IMG_2818.jpeg IMG_2819.jpeg IMG_2820.jpeg

By now I was down to one bar of battery, and no real concept of just how far I had to go!

But, I just had to get on with it as the Mrs was meeting me in Ullapool with the car and didn't want to be responsible for keeping her waiting! 😂

IMG_2821.jpeg

Now the trail started getting serious, a water crossing and then a very wet section that led past the School House bothy to Knockdamph.

IMG_2823.jpeg IMG_2825.jpeg

Last edited:
And of course, to add insult to injury, this is when both I and the bike ran out of battery!!

IMG_2826.jpeg IMG_2828.jpeg

But onward I went, slowly but surely eating up the miles back to Ullapool, walking certain sections just to give my legs a rest from pedalling, the track improving again towards the end.... thankfully!

IMG_2829.jpeg
IMG_2830.jpeg

Almost there now....

IMG_2831.jpeg

Was an awesome day out, even of I did go to bed at 8 last night! 😂

I was done in, no doubt too long a day without the fitness required!

Took me five and a half hours even on the E-Mtb, wet feet, covered in mud, and absolutely knackered.... but glad I went!

Cracking view of the Loch Seaforth coming into Ullapool as we left for home, and a last one of the hills. 😎

IMG_2833.jpeg
IMG_2834.jpeg

Last edited:
Was an awesome day out, even of I did go to bed at 8 last night! 😂

I was done in, no doubt too long a day without the fitness required!

Took me five and a half hours even on the E-Mtb, wet feet, covered in mud, and absolutely knackered.... but glad I went!

Cracking view of the Loch Seaforth coming into Ullapool as we left for home, and a last one of the hills. 😎

View attachment 831205
View attachment 831206
Epic!

Finally . . . first proper ride today after breaking my ankle in December. Truth is, the doc cleared me for riding some weeks ago but found myself a little nervous of climbing into the saddle again.

Maybe you develop a kind of sixth sense around an injured part while it's healing, but every time I hopped on a bike to test the brakes or gears or somesuch, I just seemed to be reminded of how often you stab your foot down, especially when starting and stopping and manoeuvring at slow speed. That's how it got broken in the first place.

Anyway, today is nice and sunny after a couple of drizzly, dull ones, and -- crucially -- the missus is away and therefore not on hand to prognosticate my imminent doom, so took a bit of a slow ride up the hill behind town and back down again.

No fireworks -- in fact, the whole exercise served to show how unfit you can get in four months, but on the plus side it was lovely to be out, nothing broke, and I've got past those vague phobic feelings about the ankle. Onwards and upwards!

IMG_1944.jpg

Back