Today's Ride

Re:

Today-Tuesday-Took a ride with Charlie Kelly-in a truck-about 150 miles into the lower Sierras to pick up a bike for the new Museum downtown. It's a 100 year old replica of a 200 year old bike called a Draisine, or Dandy Horse, or Velocipede-no pedals (they didn't come until about 1860) you kinda ran while balanced on the saddle part of the beam. They were popular until about 1820, then fell out of favor-this thing weighs over 100 lbs...

Attachments

• Back at the Museum.jpg
    Back at the Museum.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Draisine (Dandy Horse).jpg
    Draisine (Dandy Horse).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 262
Looks very very far away from carbonium... ;)
Today, rode past a herd of grazing bambies.

Attachments

• grazing bambies.jpg
    grazing bambies.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 241
Yeah, something like that. The short-lived carbonium bicycles of the modern age imploding at the slightest impact... ;)

Re:

Today-Wednesday-A ride to the Bay and back, over the hill in San Rafael to Terra Linda via the most deluxe bike Path in Marin. They are rebuilding the railroad tracks from 50 miles North to the Ferry Terminal here in Marin, and I got a shot of the tunnel at Puerto Suello Hill and the tracks North of there-hopefully it will cut down on traffic during commute hours when it is finished. There haven't even been tracks on the railbed for over 30 years...

Attachments

• Railroad Tunnel.jpg
    Railroad Tunnel.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Terra Linda Tracks.jpg
    Terra Linda Tracks.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Deluxe Bike Path.jpg
    Deluxe Bike Path.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 219
Pat that is an interesting photo because If I recall the bike path is on the old railway? anyway I have been saying for years that the rails to trails movement will one day become trails to rails, or something like that.

Re:

Before they built the section of the new Bike Path from San Rafael to Terra Linda, between the Railroad Tracks and the Freeway, they didn't have a bike path over that hill, you just rode up Lincoln Avenue to the top of the hill on the West side of the Railroad tracks. At the top of the hill the road name changes to Los Ranchitos Road as it descends into Terra Linda to the North. We have several bike paths here that do run on old Railway rights of way-one goes through Larkspur to Corte Madera, One goes out to Tiburon, and another one goes from Mill Valley to Sausalito...

Re:

Today-Thursday-A ride up into the Water district, about 800' climb. Just beautiful out, about 82 F. and sunny. Went by the Bike Museum on the way home, only 2 days until the Grand Opening, they were really getting down to the short, fast strokes to finish- and they were unloading a Big Mtb to display out front. I got 6'6" Otis Guy to pose with it, and he even looks small next to it. Inside, tucked away upstairs awaiting it's own glass display case, was one of Vicenzo Nibali's 2014 TDF bikes, donated by Specialized-I picked it up and thought how cool it would have been to have a bike this light BITD... :)

Attachments

• Nibali's bike.jpg
    Nibali's bike.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 6'6" Otis with Big Bike.jpg
    6'6" Otis with Big Bike.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Into the Church of the Redwoods.jpg
    Into the Church of the Redwoods.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 179
Back