Today's Ride

Cheers. Cast coming off tomorrow & going into airboot. Another couple of months maybe before I'm doing mini rides.

Re:

Tuesday's ride started well and got progressively more tough as the weather turned, the mist rolled in and the wind picked up cumulating with a 6 mile slog back up the A3071 in a 30mph headwind. I needed a day off to recover even though the morning work with Cooper took in climbing on the SW path :LOL:

This morning, crisp 5 degrees, very still, blue skies and glorious sunshine all along the way. It rose to 8-9 in spots but plunged to 2-3 in the sheltered valleys. I scooted from the "airport" at Lands End (it's not at Lands End) across to Crows-An-Wra then St Buryan. A quick blast back to Sparnon and joining the B3315. What a great road, twisting, ducking and diving to the junction for Lamorna Cove. That road is mental; tiny and right in the hollow of the valley, a really beautiful spot that pops out to the hidden cove.

RxLfOr.jpg

Thankfully I didn't go right to the bottom, for the climb out to Castallack was a lung-buster; varying levels of gradient, all over 15% and fairly long (for around here), totally different from the Kent Downs climbs that are longer and more open. Almost Dales like in places. Thankfully the blast down through Raginnis to Mousehole was top notch with incredible views across Mounts Bay.

supUJl.jpg

Perhaps you can see the state of my chain and cassette. The sea air moisture really doesn't agree with hard-wearing drive-train does it? I have to clean it down after every ride now which I guess is a small price to pay.

I gave myself a quick 2 minute break before a nice stretch to Newlyn then back out up The Coombe to re-join the A3071 for home, which thankfully had no head-wind so I couldn't help push hard :facepalm: :LOL:

Re: Re:

al-onestare":icvxc49o said:
Tuesday's ride started well and got progressively more tough as the weather turned, the mist rolled in and the wind picked up cumulating with a 6 mile slog back up the A3071 in a 30mph headwind. I needed a day off to recover even though the morning work with Cooper took in climbing on the SW path :LOL:

This morning, crisp 5 degrees, very still, blue skies and glorious sunshine all along the way. It rose to 8-9 in spots but plunged to 2-3 in the sheltered valleys. I scooted from the "airport" at Lands End (it's not at Lands End) across to Crows-An-Wra then St Buryan. A quick blast back to Sparnon and joining the B3315. What a great road, twisting, ducking and diving to the junction for Lamorna Cove. That road is mental; tiny and right in the hollow of the valley, a really beautiful spot that pops out to the hidden cove.

RxLfOr.jpg

Thankfully I didn't go right to the bottom, for the climb out to Castallack was a lung-buster; varying levels of gradient, all over 15% and fairly long (for around here), totally different from the Kent Downs climbs that are longer and more open. Almost Dales like in places. Thankfully the blast down through Raginnis to Mousehole was top notch with incredible views across Mounts Bay.

supUJl.jpg

Perhaps you can see the state of my chain and cassette. The sea air moisture really doesn't agree with hard-wearing drive-train does it? I have to clean it down after every ride now which I guess is a small price to pay.

I gave myself a quick 2 minute break before a nice stretch to Newlyn then back out up The Coombe to re-join the A3071 for home, which thankfully had no head-wind so I couldn't help push hard :facepalm: :LOL:

:cool: beautiful al.

I spent most my years living by the sea whilst growing up. The salt air is good for you, your skin etc, but a nightmare for clothes and anything metal, look after your Kona's mate :)

Re: Re:

mk one":13sucy8a said:
:cool: beautiful al.

I spent most my years living by the sea whilst growing up. The salt air is good for you, your skin etc, but a nightmare for clothes and anything metal, look after your Kona's mate :)

Cheers dude - yep - you know this!

Spent today's ride avoiding walkers and their dogs, mostly well behaved, but the odd troublesome one not fully trained by their dog :)

Dont usually do weekends, for above reason, but really mild today and seem to be lacking free time these days so have to make the most of what i get.

Nice to get out and stretch the legs though.

Attachments

• 20210320_140621e.jpg
    20210320_140621e.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
  • 20210320_135926d.jpg
    20210320_135926d.jpg
  • 20210320_135543c.jpg
    20210320_135543c.jpg
  • 20210320_135508b.jpg
    20210320_135508b.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
Re:

Didnt do much riding today, ran out of talent on a the Kona and bailed haha spent most the day tending the trails......after a coffee

Re:

A bit breezy and mainly cloudy today, but there was noticeable warmth in the sunshine when it broke through. I set off to the little church at Barfrestone because I didn't feel much like dodging dog walkers or people engrossed in their phones and this route is quiet without many of either. I set about riding with a level of energy I hadn't expected before the ride, maintained a good pace, and let the mental flotsam and jetsam from the week just gone clear from my mind. I didn't stop for many photos; I was just enjoying the ride. Just one ride photo and a couple from the church, where I wolfed down 300-400 calories worth of cake and half a litre of drink before hitting the road again.

Norman carvings above the church's south door. That is supposed to be Jesus in the centre, with two fingers held up, and he's surrounded by mermaids, angels, a gryphon and some other dudes. It's a bit like psychedelia through the medium of stone.

Signs of spring.

Attachments

• IMG_20210321_112515.jpg
    IMG_20210321_112515.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • rsz_img_20210321_113955.jpg
    rsz_img_20210321_113955.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • rsz_img_20210321_114910.jpg
    rsz_img_20210321_114910.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
Re:

I needed some flat for Sunday's run. Much as I love hills, I do like a solid "switch-off and run" run. So I parked up at Wherrytown and ran to Marazion and back...but sadly not on the costal path at Penzance thanks to resurfacing. Ah well, at least it was quiet.

This morning, 6 degrees rising to 7-8, very still, sun breaking through the high clouds. Perfect riding conditions and since Monday's time is a little more limited, it was a loop up and down Gear Hill but instead of taking the A3071 to HQ, I diverted left to and through Tremethick Cross. A much better route, very quiet, narrow and with some tiny little secluded valleys. Typically lumpy it got the legs pumping nicely before popping back onto New Road and a great view to the Scilly's; the clearest view I've seen of them so far since the move. That said I can see them out the window as I type this :LOL:

7guV8r.jpg

At this point, I'd be thinking of going off-road but the garage is awaiting it's new door before I can re-paint it inside, then get everything set-up. Still, this is a mighty good alternative!

Back