Today's Ride

Very hot today, especially out of the breeze.

Really short ride today, trying to alleviate some pain i have at moment. not sure if it helped or made it worse really :|

Did see a Trumpton type fire engine though, so not all bad

Attachments

• P1011365 (Medium).JPG
    P1011365 (Medium).JPG
    183 KB · Views: 914
Re:

Back home now in West Berkshire, so not quite the same glorious views that I had in Malvern.

These are the final few pictures of the Cold War Tour on the former Greenham Common Air Base:

The USAF used to put Aviation fuel in this mock-up of a plane, and then set it alight so they could practice putting out an aircraft fire :shock: .

Plane Mock-up_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Plane Mock-up by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Plane Mock-up Sign by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The Fire Hydrant is probably one of the most iconic American designs, and there are plenty of them still dotted about, buried amongst the Common’s vegetation.

Fire Hydrant by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The whole area is very well drained, so the Common can dry out very quickly. This time last year it was parched and very brown. It is good to see it looking so green.

Towards Midgham_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

This is looking North East across the Kennet Valley towards Woolhampton, which is the location of Douai Abbey, a former Benedictine Boarding School. It was used for some filming of Three Men and a Little Lady. I cycled over there at the time to see if I could catch a glimpse of the exceedingly handsome Tom Selleck – sadly not :roll: :LOL: .

Towards Woolhampton by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Very hot today.

A short loop today. Rode a loop i used ride when first getting back into riding after accident. My fitness has definatly improved as i found it quite easy today.

Lots of people out in the hot weather, quite a few swimming in the fishing lakes i passed, along with a huge fish which was swimming at the opposite end from all the bored looking fishermen :D

Really enjoyable ride.

Attachments

• P1011369 (Medium).JPG
    P1011369 (Medium).JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 873
  • P1011368 (Medium).JPG
    P1011368 (Medium).JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 873
  • P1011366 (Medium).JPG
    P1011366 (Medium).JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 873
Re:

I did say that my last entry showed the final few pictures of the Cold War Tour of the former Greenham Common Air Base. There is however a bit more to show you. The Base was opened in 1942 during World War Two, and was used on and off until it finally closed in 1992, when the Runway was torn up to be used on the Newbury Bypass.

I discovered this area about 20 years ago, when it wasn’t quite so overgrown. Back then it really did resemble something from a film set or a T.V. Sci-Fi series. It is really tuck away and off limits, but I managed to sneak in through a hole in the fence. It is about a mile from the end of the Runway, and I assume that it dates back before the Cold War, and might even be from W.W. II – check out what remains of a lamp post in the fifth picture, which doesn’t look like it’s from the 80’s.

Presumably it was a logistics Depot, and the gantry structures were for unloading Military transporters. There are about 12 in total.

Air Base Depot by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Air Base Depot_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Air Base Depot_2 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Air Base Depot_3 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Air Base Depot_4 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Heading home now through Chamberhouse Farm. This is the river Kennet, which helps feed the Avon Canal from where it joins it at Hungerford to the West, until it enters the Thames at Reading to the East.

River Kennet Camberhouse by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Nearly home – this is Thatcham Lakes, which is about a mile from my place.

Thatcham Lakes 250819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

VERY hot today.

Long ride around a loop i did a few months back, before the fields were harvested and ploughed. Very hard work across some of the ploughed fields and the heat and exposure making for a very tiring day.

It is a great little route though through some great landscapes and im really glad i made the effort.

Attachments

• P1011404 (Medium).JPG
    P1011404 (Medium).JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 815
  • P1011400 (Medium).JPG
    P1011400 (Medium).JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 815
  • P1011399 (Medium).JPG
    P1011399 (Medium).JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 815
  • P1011396 (Medium).JPG
    P1011396 (Medium).JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 815
  • P1011393 (Medium).JPG
    P1011393 (Medium).JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 815
Yesterday's ride...29 degrees. Left at 11 am and thought to myself at midday of those great words..."
Mad dogs and Englishmen, out in the midday sun"

22 miles, 1hr55mins. Kerr...knackered I was.

6yQ0r301s-GVWqqLROMGHau6rESgVx3geEn_wD8_gEQ-1365x2048.jpg

Re:

If you were in the UK over the weekend, then you'll know it was proper hot and sunny :cool: I loved it.

That said, the early bird catches the worm, and so Sunday and Monday I made sure to get out early doors to beat the dog walkers and the heat. I was rewarded with some mystical light coming through the rising dew. Whilst my local trails aren't demanding at all, it was still a pleasure to bomb about undisturbed and discover a few alternative routes.

0E0RiL.jpg

msMwNo.jpg

UowO0O.jpg

JWoToU.jpg

6SqFnp.jpg

OoE3gM.jpg

Today’s ride was special. First time I’ve ever ridden with a partner. She loved it. Up above the house and along the cliff path again. Roll back down the road as a reward.

Attachments

• 160DF01D-2BE9-4486-8B1A-F9107D6F5FD5.jpeg
    160DF01D-2BE9-4486-8B1A-F9107D6F5FD5.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 775
The History Man":qin4chn1 said:
Today’s ride was special. First time I’ve ever ridden with a partner. She loved it. Up above the house and along the cliff path again. Roll back down the road as a reward.

Lucky man. I really miss the sea.

Back