Today's Ride

Re: Fairfax Pat's Memorial: Fellow Riders and Family

This is a shot from yersterday's memorial for Fairfax Pat, which was held at the Lake Lagunitas Picnic Grounds on Mt. Tam above Fairfax. Lots of family including Waldo Dave Reddix with camera on right, son Sean in back middle and cycling luminaries Charlie Kelly, Joe Breeze, Bob Burroughs. This is my first post for my buddy Pat: I'm Big Warren fourth from left with baseball hat and was one of Pat's main riding partners for last 20 years or so. These are the folks that rode often (Charlie, Larry Bragman, Gary Leo, Howard Danchik, and Dave Reddix, etc.) or occasionally with Pat. What a life. He touched us all with his smile and his infectious dedication to riding every day as long as he could, which was until last year when he finally met his match, with his family and all his friends by his side.

The Reddix family is putting together a Go Fund Me to get a bench up on the mountain so everyone can come and celebrate Pat.

Thanks to all who have paid their respects in life and beyond to Pat. He thought about and documented the amazing beauty around him during every day spent riding (close to 365 some years) and was an inspiration to all that he crossed on the trials, in Fairfax and Marin (Phil Lesh, Robin Williams) and at home with his family and extended family.

Attachments

• smaller memorial 6.2.2019.jpg
    smaller memorial 6.2.2019.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 626

WarKar":3oo0e5nm said:
This is a shot from yersterday's memorial for Fairfax Pat, which was held at the Lake Lagunitas Picnic Grounds on Mt. Tam above Fairfax. Lots of family including Waldo Dave Reddix with camera on right, son Sean in back middle and cycling luminaries Charlie Kelly, Joe Breeze, Bob Burroughs. This is my first post for my buddy Pat: I'm Big Warren fourth from left with baseball hat and was one of Pat's main riding partners for last 20 years or so. These are the folks that rode often (Charlie, Larry Bragman, Gary Leo, Howard Danchik, and Dave Reddix, etc.) or occasionally with Pat. What a life. He touched us all with his smile and his infectious dedication to riding every day as long as he could, which was until last year when he finally met his match, with his family and all his friends by his side.

The Reddix family is putting together a Go Fund Me to get a bench up on the mountain so everyone can come and celebrate Pat.

Thanks to all who have paid their respects in life and beyond to Pat. He thought about and documented the amazing beauty around him during every day spent riding (close to 365 some years) and was an inspiration to all that he crossed on the trials, in Fairfax and Marin (Phil Lesh, Robin Williams) and at home with his family and extended family.

Massive thanks for sharing this Warren. It looks like you had a great time - Pat style :cool: Please share the GFM when it's up and running.

The weather on Saturday was glorious, absolutely no excuses to be out and about. The stoke was high on my local loops and I said a few words to the dude as I spun up one of the few climbs around here in suburbia.

7LRUIU.jpg

mrkawasaki":3oo0e5nm said:
Not a ride as such, but a trip out to a local classic car show. Having met Pat at his house I knew he liked his classic cars - so every time I saw something interesting with four wheels I'd tag him on my Facebook. Pretty much every car I posted he'd either owned or driven at some point. That extended to motorbikes too of course - for the last few years I'd send him over a copy of the TT programme so he could follow it on whatever obscure digital stream he could find. So today I was thinking about Pat as I wandered the rows of cherished classics and what he would have said to the photos I would have sent him.

357103.jpg

Someone will correct me but this is the car Pat was using day to day. I had the pleasure of riding in it twice. Once to pick me up after I'd caught a flat and hadn't packed a pump :facepalm: The second was later that evening. We went to dinner at one of his favourite burrito spots. I won't forget the hair raising blast through Marin county as he slip-streamed and overtook everyone, often into oncoming traffic. I kept telling myself, he knows what he's doing, as I gripped the door handle and closed my eyes (a few times).

If he's taking a break from cycling - wherever he is - you know he's talking about and driving cars very quickly!

WarKar":2pb7lsx7 said:
This is a shot from yesterday's memorial for Fairfax Pat, which was held at the Lake Lagunitas Picnic Grounds on Mt. Tam above Fairfax.
That's great Warren, thanks for sharing. I met Pat, only briefly, once at MMB whilst he popped in on an errand going somewhere. I only wish that I could've spent some time with him that week. However I was lucky enough to ride some of the trails he knew so well, including around Lake Lagunitas, and I will always think of him fondly when I recall my visit there and hope to get back there soon. I will also use Pat's 'today's ride' thread and philosophy to better motivate myself as I often have issues that I dwell on too much to actually get out on a bike. His legacy w]lives on through me and others, whether daily riders or just daily ride thinkers, the world over!

Cheers!

Two of my favourites I took of Pat back in 2007 on the Repack.

Attachments

• DSC_0382_2_2.jpg
    DSC_0382_2_2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC_0353_2_2.jpg
    DSC_0353_2_2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 580
Sunny but not too warm today.

Perfect riding weather. Just any easy ride today, trying to stay up on top so to avoid hills, just relaxing taking in the views :cool:

Mark

Attachments

• P1011359 (Medium).JPG
    P1011359 (Medium).JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 548
  • P1011353 (Medium).JPG
    P1011353 (Medium).JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 548
  • P1011349 (Medium).JPG
    P1011349 (Medium).JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 548
  • P1011348 (Medium).JPG
    P1011348 (Medium).JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 548
Re:

Some of you may be aware that I wasn’t supposed to be cycling again until probably mid-August at the earliest. I was hoping that by now I would be sat up in a bed on a Ward in the RBH recovering from Surgery. Sadly the procedure was cancelled on the day, as a more urgent operation was required to be performed by the Surgeon. I have no new date yet, so a ride out today was the best way to try and forget about it for now.

This is Bowdown Wood with a fun little drop through a Gully. I was going to try and take an action shot, but I didn’t think I would capture it with my camera sat on a post with its 10 second timer:

Untitled by Philip Mock, on Flickr

This is looking East along the Kennet Valley on the way home:

Finally, this is looking West along Newbury Racecourse – I’ve never been!

Pip

Re: Re:

pipmeister":6anj19kv said:
Some of you may be aware that I wasn’t supposed to be cycling again until probably mid-August at the earliest. I was hoping that by now I would be sat up in a bed on a Ward in the RBH recovering from Surgery. Sadly the procedure was cancelled on the day, as a more urgent operation was required to be performed by the Surgeon. I have no new date yet, so a ride out today was the best way to try and forget about it for now.

This is Bowdown Wood with a fun little drop through a Gully. I was going to try and take an action shot, but I didn’t think I would capture it with my camera sat on a post with its 10 second timer:

Pip

:cool: glad you made it out Pip.

Wouldnt mind that water bottle, maybe the frame too :D

Mark

Re: Re:

pipmeister":1d6juwe5 said:

Pip

We need to see some shredding action Pip ;) Nice to see the yellow-peril out and about.

Back