Today's Ride

Wet...

Waited for the drizzle to stop, it got worse, so thought i should get out before the heavy rain, which i managed as that didnt start until i was furthest from home :roll:

It was actually quite an enjoyable ride, even if the rain was in my face all the way home. I did find a viewing stone, irony, or maybe brassy :LOL: :facepalm:

Mark

Attachments

• P1011459 (Medium).JPG
    P1011459 (Medium).JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 486
  • P1011458 (Medium).JPG
    P1011458 (Medium).JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 486
  • P1011453 (Medium).JPG
    P1011453 (Medium).JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 486
Re:

Enjoying your ride reports, It's nice to see green again. :) Please keep the pics coming. Where are you based it doesn't look like the Peaks?

Re: Re:

shedobits":1svibtnh said:
Enjoying your ride reports, It's nice to see green again. :) Please keep the pics coming. Where are you based it doesn't look like the Peaks?

Could do with some of your spanish sun though :cool:

Im back in Mansfield, Notts at moment. Live in Matlock when in Peaks :)

Mark

Re:

In another life I was a Field Service Manager and could pretty much go anywhere in England and Wales so I kept a SS Lava Dome in the boot for after work rides in the summer as it was healthier than lone drinking in hotel bars. My favourite "base" then was New Mills and have even been back for a riding holiday there since.
Watching the news i think that you have had a better spring than here so far but yeh it's warming up today.

Very warm today, even with a breeze.

Another short ride today. Hard work as after all the rain every trail, even the hard packed ones, was very soft. Felt like riding through wet cement. Had to check a couple of times to see if i had a flat or my brakes were rubbing. The fresh air and sunshine made up for it though :)

Good ride

Mark

Attachments

• P1011463 (Medium).JPG
    P1011463 (Medium).JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 449
  • P1011460 (Medium).JPG
    P1011460 (Medium).JPG
    130 KB · Views: 449
Re:

As Mark pointed out, it was a bit sticky under tyre today after all the rain.

Anyway… the sun put its hat on, so I popped up to Greenham again, as it is well drained – gravel through the middle of the Common, and peat on top of gravel through the wooded sections around the edge. The 1997 Explosif has been washed, lubed and put away, and it’s out with the 1998 Hei Hei.

A bit of a Cold War Tour; The first picture shows three of the six Silos where the armed Nuclear Ground Launch Cruise Missiles were housed in the early 80’s. There is a labyrinth of tunnels and storage down below ground level. What you can see here is the top section where the doors opened to let the Gryphon Transporters in and out. Apparently the Russians still maintain a protocol visit and come here as part of the peace treaty to inspect the place.

I’m looking South across the original runway. The hill behind that is just visible is Watership Down.

Greenham Silos by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The area was used in the last Star Wars film as a Rebel Base. Someone local with a Microlight flew over, and took some pictures, and the word was out. People were climbing up fences to catch a glimpse of the filming.

Stars Was Greenham_2 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The last picture is the Control Tower, which has been turned onto a Café. I’m just off the original runway looking North.

Greenham Control Tower by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Re:

The guy who took them took off from Micheldever which is where my folks live so the running joke is that it was my old man trying to get a sneaky shot of Carrie, rest her soul.

Top shots dude, and a pretty alright bike I guess ;-)

Nice warm sunny day, one of those days that you have to ride to stay cool.

The Brodie is out of service as i wore the rear brake blocks out on the last ride so the Trek which has been waiting for upgrades was re-commisioned :)

Looked at the Five Pits Trail the other day as i drive past some of the road crossings pretty regular. Its a trail along some of the old rail tracks that joined the pits, and is just a there and back trail. While looking i found a loop someone had done pretty much from my door, so as i was just testing the bike i decided to take a look. The loop is 22 miles but on hard tracks, and a bit of tarmac so not to hard, there is a few hills to climb but i was in no rush. Saying that, it took me 2hrs to ride so pretty happy with that.

Managed to get a few pics at start but batteries ran out, shame as there were a few nice views along the way.

Great ride and perfect weather :cool:

Mark

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 385
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 385
Beautiful sunny day today.

Another long 20+ mile ride today. Dragged my friend out again, and he bought his old Marin, painted black with an A5 sticker on the headtube as he always liked my 856 which i painted the same back in the '90's :D He did really well considering he hasnt rode far for a few years and only had the large front ring.

Great ride again.

Mark

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 360
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 360
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 360