Titanium Steerers, threadless and threaded 1 inch + 1 1/8th

Re: Titanium Steerers, threadless and threaded 1 inch + 1 1/

Looks like we are on a roll here. Keep the posts and details coming. I will let Justin Burl know about this thread in a while ;)

Just got this from Reynolds UK

Hello xxxx,
Thank you for your email.
I attach a standard pricelist for tubing, ex UK - steerers on page 11. The
HB113 has been a typical 1 inch threadless steerer for standard fork crown
tolerances.

Reynolds have not made titanium steerers, sorry. Due to high costs of
carrying titanium parts, only make to order.

Best regards,
Xxxx.

www.rtl.cc
https://en-gb.facebook.com/ReynoldsTechnology

Throws thruppence in to the pot

Titanium steerer :? MENTAL :shock:

Think flex
Think pinching
Ti is great but cracking is a problem especially if you get a pinch on it , for example a too small seatpost. The clamp tightens too far giving a pinch point at the bottom of the seattube slot,which then starts a crack
Clamping a stem too tight to it might cause deformation :? so i wouldnt risk it

Im also put off by Ti stems for the same reason and ive seen a number of them cracked from over tightening.

I can only talk from my experience. I have used a 1 1/8th threaded Ti steerer in my original Mani 1 for years. Rode it very hard, lots of jumps, pounding steep descents, drop-offs etc and lots of XC. When I examined it recently there is not a mark on it and it was fitted with a custom Ti stem.

Alloy frames have a reputation for limited lifespan due to fatigue but Ti frames should last a lifetime if looked after. I know I would trust Ti far far more than Alu for that structural purpose. I guess a lot depends on the thickness and quality of the Ti used. As for flex in the steerer, it has never been noticeable to me with Mani forks and I ride a large frame normally.

JMHO though. Lets not forget Ti is used extensively in F1 cars which take some hammering.

http://www.ushba.com/tifacts.html

Back