Titanium bottle cages

Is that not because titanium recycling was a crazy expensive and very complex until around 2010 when VAM became the preferred method. it is still crazy expensive and very selective on what can be recycled thanks to oxide contaminated feed stocks (shit titanium is a thing, who knew). there isn't really a scalable process for decontamination which makes life pretty hard too.

having said all that, it's also a bitch to refine in general from ore, very very energy intensive and pretty shit for the environment, so year, maybe better with carbon fibre....... bugger..... aluminium........ are bollocks. BAMBOO is the future, or maybe cheese.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but I've thrown two cracked Ti frames in the recycling in the past, and just assumed they would be properly dealt with by magic fairies wearing green overalls. I never imagined they would either be shipped across the planet or even potentially gone into landfill.

Hoping at least this Ti recycling center is working out (there must have been a solid business case for the investment to happen) and importantly isn't just used for industrial waste from industry. I mean, Ti is found in lots of consumer goods that can simply fall out of fashion too.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but I've thrown two cracked Ti frames in the recycling in the past, and just assumed they would be properly dealt with by magic fairies wearing green overalls. I never imagined they would either be shipped across the planet or even potentially gone into landfill.

Hoping at least this Ti recycling center is working out (there must have been a solid business case for the investment to happen) and importantly isn't just used for industrial waste from industry. I mean, Ti is found in lots of consumer goods that can simply fall out of fashion too.
it is mainly used for much larger scale than consumer goods, last I heard it was about 8% of their feedstock but I'm sure that's changed. issue is the dispersed network that this stuff has to be gathered from, there aren't any bins for titanium at my local recyling centre and I know it isn't explicitly picked out at source (because, how do you know its Ti if it isn't stamped as such, not like magnets attract it and it's easy to confuse with Al which is were most of it ends up going, to then be disposed of as there isn't a commercial reason to ship it, Novelis in Warrington had a skip full and they deal predominately with cans).

as with everything, it all boils down to profit, if there isn't any, it isn't going to get done. fun this aint it.

I'm done, I'm not getting involved in this weeks circular argument, I'll wait for the next one. :)

Back