Tinker's original Adroit located and sold

this is turning into a 'spot the difference' thread.

forks are different, different colour and different crowns.

there is a white patch on the seat stay at the brake brace on tinkers - could be reflection or logo that is not on the other.

Ignoring daft things like the colour between two entirely different picture types, there are other clues. The lightning is exact on both frames and so are some other paint details. The crown potentially matches the colours in the frame whereas the lowers have been replaced with standard colour RS.

But, given the colour of that chain, its been stood somewhere damp and will be in a very sorry state with a lot of fading.

Thing is, how many bikes do riders get/got?
If you were to say that Tinker in that photo, rode the bike then when he finished, took it home and hung it in the garage, till todays events, then no, not the same bike.
But of course if the bike was ridden through the season(s) and sponsors/tech/preferences changed then for sure it could be. Or it could be a different bike, spare, or 2nd bike, or even just a plain new bike from earlier/;later in the season...
But as it stands you couldn't say that the photos show the same bike.

Re:

And I find myself wondering, who really cares, anyway. Its not like the rider was some blessed special creature sent to earth to shine white light on mankind, or anything. Its just a bike, that might or might not have been ridden by Tinker ... molecules of metal and rubber.

Re: Re:

k-rod":bgxp5fba said:
And I find myself wondering, who really cares, anyway. Its not like the rider was some blessed special creature sent to earth to shine white light on mankind, or anything. Its just a bike, that might or might not have been ridden by Tinker ... molecules of metal and rubber.

Why are you even here then?

Re:

^^^^^ just a different opinion. I wouldnt pay over the old for a bike ridden by a famous racer either, guess i never got into sports hero worship.... but if others choisr to do so, who am i to stop them.

6.5K $ does seem a lot.

I agree that $6.5 for this particular bike is too much, which is why I don't currently own it. However, had Tinker taken proper care of it over the years, or really any care whatsoever, it would have been worth much more than this on the open market to the right buyer.

As it stands, I felt it wasn't worth more than $5k in its current state.

k-rod":2261qo32 said:

Provenance.

This is arguably the bike that influences so many other people here on RBUK to seek out and collect one. Just as it was the bike BITD that influenced so many here on RBUK to buy one new.

If you are interested in collecting old bikes (and I would assume you are if you hang out on an old bike website), what better bike to collect than the actual one raced by the sponsored rider BITD.

If it is all just about the quality of the ride and molecules, probably better off buying new.

Ductape":3goccol4 said:
k-rod":3goccol4 said:

Provenance.

This is arguably the bike that influences so many other people here on RBUK to seek out and collect one. Just as it was the bike BITD that influenced so many here on RBUK to buy one new.

If you are interested in collecting old bikes (and I would assume you are if you hang out on an old bike website), what better bike to collect than the actual one raced by the sponsored rider BITD.

If it is all just about the quality of the ride and molecules, probably better off buying new.

I have a somewhat newer f/s bike (2005 Kona Coiler), and two retro ones (my '89 Brodie Romax - owned since new/and a mid-'90's KHS Montanna Pro - that I've set up as my 'road' bike). It was resurrecting my ailing Brodie that led me to this site, as I was loathe to simply let it die and/or throw it away (its been such a faithful workhorse for 25 yrs). Love the site, love the retro-rides ... but personally, I am just not the type to load value onto anything just because someone or other famous might have owned, touched, or ridden/driven it. I know that many are, and like they say ... "whatever floats your boat" ... I guess.

its all good.

Back