Tightening locknuts on Deore DX pedals - drat and nuts?!

Progress time. 11mm box spanner (well, a 10 and 11mm box spanner, chopped in half) obtained and thinned in the walls so that it fits inside the end of the pedal body. Piece of pi$$ with an angle grinder. Same done to an 8mm socket - now passes down within/ inside the box spanner. Socket extension bar bought so that I can operate the 8mm socket with a torque wrench (a nice low Nm-rated one for light duty).

Question is what torque to tighten the outer locknut? There's probably a standard for the thread of the pedal spindle but this update is as much as anything an update to say that it was pretty easy to knock-up a tool to do the same job as the £60 Shimano jobbie! It probably cost £6.
Nice workaround. Did you cut the box wrench in the middle?

I checked with my tools, and a bit of angle grinder work would allow an 8mm 1/4" drive socket to fit inside the hexagonal end of the box wrench. But there's no way the 8mm socket would ever fit inside the narrower middle section of the box wrench. I could only do this with my box wrench if I cut the box wrench where the hexagonal section ends and the narrow round, middle section begins. If I did that I could grip the outside of the box wrench with a spanner while I tightened the locknut. But maybe your box wrench is different and doesn't have a narrow middle section.

I’ve got this tool. Doesn’t fit inside dx pedals
It would be useful to know exactly which pedals you are referring to ?
We do know that the 8mm/11mm end of the Shimano Tool TL-PD63
fits in the PD-M650 ( DX ) pedals as described above . I have also used
the same tool on PD-M735 ( XT ) pedals ( though I can't remember which end )

It would be useful to know exactly which pedals you are referring to ?
We do know that the 8mm/11mm end of the Shimano Tool TL-PD63
fits in the PD-M650 ( DX ) pedals as described above . I have also used
the same tool on PD-M735 ( XT ) pedals ( though I can't remember which end )
I’m assumig this is the same tool I’ve got, the socket doesn’t fit into the DX body (the top part where the Nuts are). Same for XT M735. I did them both recently

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 3
I’m assumig this is the same tool I’ve got, the socket doesn’t fit into the DX body (the top part where the Nuts are). Same for XT M735. I did them both recently
Annoyingly, If I recall, it fits into the XT M730 pedals, but then it’s a 12mm nut :LOL: so Doesn’t work either.

You’ve just solved one of the great mysteries of my garage! I saw the photo you posted of TL-PD63 and a bell started to ring very quietly somewhere. Just been out there and retrieved two parts from separate drawers in the cave and lo and behold it’s one of those tools!

EC8241EA-A104-46FA-B86E-0F180BF130C4.jpeg

What’s weird is I’ve never had those parts in with my bike tools, it came in a box of RC and Scalextric stuff from my dads, I always assumed it was a Tamiya box wrench. How on earth he ended up with it I don’t know, he’s no bike mechanic.

@TreaderSteve I’m happy to lend it out via post to you if you still need one. Keeping on the weird coincidence theme - are those the DX pedals you kept from the Dyna-Tech you sold me?!

You’ve just solved one of the great mysteries of my garage! I saw the photo you posted of TL-PD63 and a bell started to ring very quietly somewhere. Just been out there and retrieved two parts from separate drawers in the cave and lo and behold it’s one of those tools!

View attachment 616691

What’s weird is I’ve never had those parts in with my bike tools, it came in a box of RC and Scalextric stuff from my dads, I always assumed it was a Tamiya box wrench. How on earth he ended up with it I don’t know, he’s no bike mechanic.

@TreaderSteve I’m happy to lend it out via post to you if you still need one. Keeping on the weird coincidence theme - are those the DX pedals you kept from the Dyna-Tech you sold me?!
Out of interest, do you have a caliper to measure the diameter of yours? Mines 16.8mm. Maybe what I have isn’t the same since apparently the above poster says it works on their Dx pedals. There were probably older versions

Out of interest, do you have a caliper to measure the diameter of yours? Mines 16.8mm. Maybe what I have isn’t the same since apparently the above poster says it works on their Dx pedals. There were probably older versions
Mine is 14.95mm OD the 11mm end and 13.5mm OD the 10mm - give or take a tiny bit - the battery was running low on the calipers so only got one go to zero and measure before it gave up!

Mine is 14.95mm OD the 11mm end and 13.5mm OD the 10mm - give or take a tiny bit - the battery was running low on the calipers so only got one go to zero and measure before it gave up!
Well that solves it. I’m guessing since it was your dads, it’s fairly old. Mines more recent and since shimano Pedals are no longer made the same way, mines only for working on newer pedals.

It appears that there are at least two different versions of the Shimano Pedal Adjustment Tool
The one we have been concerned with here is the TL-PD 63 to suit a 10mm cone nut with an
7mm locking nut OR an 11mm cone nut with an 8mm locking nut having respective OD's of
12mm and 14.5mm
There is also a TL-PD 33 to suit a 10mm cone nut with a 7mm locking nut OR a 13mm cone
nut with a 10mm locking nut . I have no info re OD's , however from the above they may be 13.5mm and 14.95mm ?
The 16.8mm dimension ( also above ) may indicate a third version of the tool ?

There are four versions of the tool now. The commonest are PD33 for M324 hybrid pedals and some others, and PD63 for M323 hybrid pedals and some others. Look up "SPD compendium" on the Cycling UK forum for an unbelievable amount of info on SPDs.

"TL-PD33:Big end;13mm/10mm concentric sockets, 17mm outer body
Small end;10mm/7mm concentric sockets, 17mm outer body,17mm spanner to hold outer
TL-PD73;Big end;11mm/8mm concentric sockets,15mm outer body
Small end;10mm/7mm concentric sockets,13.5mm outer body,15mm spanner to hold outer]
Also TL-PD63 has a 7/8mm inner locknut tool and a 10/11mm outer cone tool.
TL-PD300 has 7mm/10mm on one part and 10mm/13mm on the other."

Back