This is what the community is about - Sylus is a top bloke

gtRTSdh

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
sylus":2eoqhj0t said:
No Worries Alex.

When I sold you the bike the shocks worked okay but ...I suspect it was due more to my 18 stone forcing them to work than they actually worked properly. It may also be that that I had it for such a little time and I didn't know what a proflex was that I didn't notice they were fubarred

Seeing you are still trying to get the proflex back on the road and it's not been cheap I feel a certian sense of uncomfortableness and an unease.

In my usual rambling way what I'm trying to say is that forget the postage cost over to you in the U.K.

I will take care of that cost personally as a small sorry for the problems you have had with the bike

Shaun, I hope you don't mind me posting this but I am truly touched and wanted to out you as a top guy. I neither blame you nor harbour any Ill feelings, it's a 15 year old bike after all. Plus the fact that all of the second hand shocks I've bought have all had the same issue as well (1 noleen shock didn't but was showing signs, and that one has a piggy back reservoir and didn't fit anyway). I knew you never rode the bike as it was about a foot too small for you & as you've mentioned, the springs probably weren't strong enough to bounce you around like they do my 12st!

Best Regards Alex

Background: I joined the forum to buy the 957 that Shaun had up for sale. I knew I was only buying the frame and forks and the rest of the bike was junk so that lot mainly went in the bin (it would have just about made the shops and back, maybe). Many many ££'s later with a fully built bike the first ride revealed both shocks were more akin to pogo sticks than shock absorbers. The shocks need rebuilding with new shafts in the states, not exactly cheap. So I've been trying to find replacement shocks and I've now got a veritable stash of f****d s/hand shocks and a spare pair of crosslinks lying around. There are no alternatives for the rear on an S size frame. I could have got one risse for the front but there's not much point in that.

Out of the blue Shaun volunteered his assistance from his new U.S. residence (new shocks are from the US) and I am very grateful to him for his pending assistance. On top of this I received the message above from him this evening, hats off to you Shaun the world could do with more people like you!

Ps) I'll go halves with you on the postage else I'll feel guilty.

+1 I've had 2 bikes from Shaun, a Saracen and a C16R and numerous parts, he really is a top bloke and nothing but helpful the times i met him, he will be missed from these shores :(

Back