Things invented by men - No.1: USE Cyclops saddle clamps

Re:

^^^^

That's pretty much exactly what I did in the end! :D

After over half an hour of faffing....and breaking a nail AND taking the skin off my thumb!

It looks lovely on though, in fairness, and as I only weigh 10 stone I'm hoping it won't move/break/tip.

"invented by men being overly complex" you say ...

... hmm ...

- on second thought, best leave this one alone.

No chance of that. I'm....ahem....heavier than that, and tall with it, so my 450mm post has 210mm above the clamp.

Ive just had to cut out a thomson post and its profile is somewhat eliptical with 2 sides maybe 0.4mm,yet when trying to bend it in on itself i was suprised as to how strong the alloy was to be able to resist bending as it did. I reckon all top light posts today are as strong as they get :cool:

Re:

Sorry Kaz I had no trouble with it :oops: :oops:

Worst clamp I have run across is the one on Shimano Pro posts after an hour and a half of pure blasphemy managed to completely cross thread the bolt and snap, swear, hurl :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Re:

Ha ha, all sorted now, think if I'd calmed down and looked at it quietly I would have seen the theory behind it quicker!

I think the broken nail got me madder than I realised.... ;)

Re: Re:

bikey :)":3bta2jkp said:
The worst seat clamp I've ever used! The clamp used to slide back on its curved rail under normal use, pitching the nose of the saddle right up. No amount of tightening the 3 mm allen bolt was ever enough to hold it..... I'd never use another 'cyclops' post. Way too flimsy!

Yeah I had the same issues. They are a right pain in the arse...and bollocks.... when the seat pitched up.

If the inventor was a man he's a right bastard.

Never had an issue with these, got to say they are better than the two bolt versions which used even smaller and more breakable bolts.

They seem to persevere with funny clamps, the latest ones on the sumo style posts aren't that great either, and you need to change them depending on the rails your saddle has. Hope has copied this on their eternity post for some reason?

:)
I spent a few years spannering for a team that was part sponsored by use.

You lot only have to do one at a time, i had to do about 15, in one day.

They all slipped. Ended up "modifying" with a larger diameter nut and bolt. And a drill.......

Latest posts

Back