the 'upgraded thru the 90's look' build

I still have and ride the bike I upgraded through the nineties. I replaced every single part on it between '91 and '99, including the frame. Not sure if that counts as upgrading...

W W Biffta":3t0nlgzs said:
well v's are better than canties, but are discs better than v's?
Well, they work better in the wet, they don't clog with mud, they still work fine if you buckle a wheel, and they don't wear your rims out. That's what I'm told, anyway.

is 9 speed really better than 8, or even 7?
The thing I like about 9 is that it lets me lose the granny ring. 29 or 30 at the front and 32 at the back is the lowest gear I have any use for. Even when I used to run a triple it meant that I could ride much more in the middle ring. That's no bad thing.

I'm probably going to go back to seven though - if you can still get it when I've worn my 9-speed stuff out.

cindercone2.jpg

nope mud doesnt affect discs . the venting in the disc draws mud over the pads so the rider of this bike got less than a day out of a pair of new pads

muckykatie.jpg

not that vs are any better of course :LOL:

P2030063.jpg

although i do think that cable discs are worthless especially the ones on cheap bikes to make them look "cool" that come factory fitted with bent discs

one-eyed_jim":1ptuxdyi said:
I'm probably going to go back to seven though - if you can still get it when I've worn my 9-speed stuff out.

CRC do 7 speed cassettes, STX 7 speed shifters and spacers to run 7 speed on 9 speed wheels (these DO work, got them) :D

xizang":1fkbefxl said:
CRC do 7 speed cassettes, STX 7 speed shifters and spacers to run 7 speed on 9 speed wheels (these DO work, got them) :D
Yeah, but at the rate I'm wearing stuff out these days, CRC may not even exist by the time I've reverted. I've got quite a stock of gear to work through.

I think I must have a couple of 7-speed cassettes kicking around though. I'm pretty well set up for 7-speed hubs, and I'm currently friction-shifting my 9-speed cassette with Deore II 7-speed thumbies...

Hei Hei is currently my only period correct (but not catalogue correct) project.
Pace RC200 F3 is ok apart from running M960 XTR mechs, v-brakes & sti levers ;)
XLM is bling build with rigid forks

I run a mix too. I can't see the point of wearing out a 1992 XT rear mech when somebody wants it for a restoration special.

So all the stuff that wears out is newer (rear mech, chainrings) but cranks, hubs and shifters (and so number of gears) is unchanged. And as I've run Magura rim brakes for around 14 years I've never been tempted to swap.

I don't mind the upgraded through the nineties look but where do you stop?

Here is how I found my 1995 Radical + in its last incarnation before I switched to a Yeti Lawill DH6.

Picture68.jpg

Picture68.jpg

To my mind it's gone a bit far. I don't think the fork suits it at all. The giant Hanebrinks on the skinny Sunn frame. So I decided to re-do it and definitely use the original forks.

So after riding my brothers old Specialized Hardrock with cantis, a super long stem, flat bars and Quadra 10's over Christmas and loving it. I decided to turn my bike into the specification it had when I first got it. As I thought I had most of the parts.

mergedsunnradical2.jpg

However this has quickly spiralled out of control as all the parts I had were missing bits, e.g. a straddle cable here, a jockey wheel there, etc, etc...

But it's been fun finding spares and the end result, refurbished frame and forks will perform better than it does now.

Once I've done this however I am going to upgrade it with the tarty bits I had or wanted back in the day...as I still had most of these and it'll then be how I want it. Phew what a rant :oops:

1993 buy zaskar

1994 wore out OEM MAG21, XT rear mech, Mavic 231 rims and the bearings in the XT hubs

buy Hope hubs, Mavic SUP 117, hydrolic disk for the front and the first generation Judy DH with the Hope disk mount.

Wore out succession of tyres 'ugraded' stem after stem, bent GT seatpost, replace with USE. Replaced M730 cranks with Toplines

So, just frame/ BB/ front mech is original by 1996.

Zaskar frame, Hope disk/hubs XT front mech, later XT rear, Azonic bars/ste, RS Judy DH with Speed springs.

bike is sold/ stolen, then in 2000 get it back, it gets rebuilt with first gen. XT V's, Proshift F/R mechs ($49 USD each in 2000!), Toplines, blue USE and those Pace rigid forks that Hope /Pace argued over for a while.

Amazing ride - broke old Hope mount, cant get new one so buy cheapo Alu forks with disk tab, FSA headset.

Then in 2003, the dreaded drops / mudguards arrive :LOL:

- now in 2009 ( :shock: ) its back with a new period correct (but not OEM) rebuild, just cant quite justify prices of NOS Smoke/dart so stick with IRC stuff.

Back