the unofficial 'cool' 1980's Reynolds 531/501 bike thread

Re: Re:

MADB":p5csp03h said:
coomber":p5csp03h said:
Put it in botm

Not sure why it's not getting more attention in the readers section. Love it.

Cheers, they are a contrary lot here but i might give it a go botm.

I love it. Link please?

Re:

Here's my 1984 Dawes Countryman. It's a parts box special with Sturmey drum hubs and biopace mountain chainset and mechs. Though not original I'd like to think that it's decade correct :)

Attachments

• DSC_4142.JPG
    DSC_4142.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • DSC_4127.JPG
    DSC_4127.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,092
The History Man":851q5f49 said:
Is that the one you just sold?
Nah, it was withdrawn from sale and rebuilt. The paint finish isn't great but it's a solid old thing. Makes me smile every time I ride it.

Excellent! Was going to try for parts! My winter project. 84 Dawes Ranger. Very little left.

95e92fa81a2f9992b4d74bb7ef4bc3d4_zpsb6a4b47f.jpg

Re: DAWES All Terrain

I live in Vancouver BC CANADA and am riding a DAWES All Terrain mountain bike. Found abandoned in an alley and after a bit of TLC I restored it to working condition. I extended the mud guards so I don't get sprayed on from the rotating wheels. I am using it a lot even in the rain and find it gives a smooth and reliable ride. I often pack big loads on the rear rack and it runs straight like an arrow (before I had a light weight Japanese bike and it wobbled dangerously going downhill at higher speeds). From a sticker on the frame, I can see it was sold in Oxford, England by Walton Street Cycles. Somebody must have loved it so much that he shipped it half way around the world. :eek:
The only thing I wish it was a bit lighter when I get on some steep roads since I am getting older (74 now).

PS Love the Shimano thumb shifters - way better than the silly grip twist shifters that were the rage a few years ago............
PPS Another thing I like on my bike is the little U-shaped protector for the rear derailleur bolted onto the rear axle. It saved my derailleur several times when the heavily loaded bike fell over. I have not seen an any bikes equipped with it here in North America - looks like a British invention..........

Attachments

• on my bike with quite a load.jpg
    on my bike with quite a load.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 968
Re: Re:

uaglt":13i7vipj said:
I live in Vancouver BC CANADA and am riding a DAWES All Terrain mountain bike. Found abandoned in an alley and after a bit of TLC I restored it to working condition. I extended the mud guards so I don't get sprayed on from the rotating wheels. I am using it a lot even in the rain and find it gives a smooth and reliable ride. I often pack big loads on the rear rack and it runs straight like an arrow (before I had a light weight Japanese bike and it wobbled dangerously going downhill at higher speeds). From a sticker on the frame, I can see it was sold in Oxford, England by Walton Street Cycles. Somebody must have loved it so much that he shipped it half way around the world. :eek:
The only thing I wish it was a bit lighter when I get on some steep roads since I am getting old (74 now).

PS Love the Shimano thumb shifters - way better than the silly grip twist shifters that were the rage a few years ago............

Great story. Funny that someone shipped it across the Atlantic only to dump it in an alley!

Back