The Trend for Black Finishes on Modern Components

hookooekoo

Senior Retro Guru
I have been browsing new mountain bikes, and almost every component comes with black or dark finish. In my opinion this is a terrible choice. Every little scrape becomes highlighted, particularly with black chainrings and cassettes. And even if you look after the bike well, you're probably gonna get some rubbing on the crank arms. There's no way that I'm going to drop £1000+ on a new bike that has almost everything in black finish. I'm not going to buy until this trend turns around, sanity is restored, and silver finish is the norm again.

What does everyone else think about black finishes on components? Is there a benefit to black finishes that I haven't realised? Am I the only one who cares that components look badly aged after a few scrapes and rubs?

I favour black components (not talking about modern bikes in particular) more often that silver on my builds but yes, every scratch sticks out like a sore thumb. Love the black XT parts but the seatposts and crank arms show wear very quickly. I love a nos pair of anodised vintage rims but riding them, or at least using the brakes, brings a tear to my eye! At least we don't have the problem of anodising wearing off the rims with disc brakes.
I don't see a benefit though, other than cosmetic. Perhaps it's all part of the marketing plan, to get you to replace your scratched components more often, or perhaps its cheaper to achieve a decent looking black finish than a decent polished one.

I always hated black anodised rims for the same reason. Although they do eventually look OK once the anodising has completely worn off the entire braking surface.

I have the opposite approach to HiFi. When the trend for brushed silver finish started, I waited until black became the norm again before buying a black tuner that matched all the other black stuff I already owned. But HiFi doesn't generally get scraped a lot.

Had a comment on my modern build thread as to why I’m not running a dropper post, and part of that reason is that there doesn’t seem to be such a thing in silver and I’m aiming for a silver build…. no real demand for silver I guess. 😕

And as for rim wear on dark rims…. I always went for ceramic where possible, better braking and they stay looking black! 😉

I'd hazard a guess that it is cheaper to finish in black than produce a decent polished surface. Then build in planned obsolescence as us vain perfectionists replace scuffed kit that is perfectly functional but looks scruffy...

When I built my new Yeti earlier this year I went against the norm and went for some silver parts. I really like it compared to all black like usual for brakes/hubs/headset etc.

Attachments

• A8302A61-80A9-426F-9698-03FF6032748A.jpeg
    A8302A61-80A9-426F-9698-03FF6032748A.jpeg
    590.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 7586774A-9B34-427B-B898-99F453880A4A.jpeg
    7586774A-9B34-427B-B898-99F453880A4A.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 373A13BD-D737-4B4B-B2FD-7E4D29EA9CB1.jpeg
    373A13BD-D737-4B4B-B2FD-7E4D29EA9CB1.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 7
It’s a dilemma I have with my latest build.
Imo it largely depends on the frame colour.
White, silver, grey including ti look great with black components.
Black, blue, purple looks great with aluminium components.
Red, green looks great with either.
Obviously there are no set rules.
Black components are difficult to restore without painting… touching in is rarely acceptable. whereas aluminium is easy to polidh and get looking decent agsin.

I guess, referring back to the OP, the issue is that silver isn't isn't an available option for a lot of modern components

I guess, referring back to the OP, the issue is that silver isn't isn't an available option for a lot of modern components
quote-you-can-have-any-color-you-want-as-long-as-it-s-black-henry-ford-93-24-01.jpg

Back