The Time Trial Season is Starting

Rode my first '25' for 21 years last evening. The course is a bit 'sporting', it used to be most of the early season Featherstone RC Hilly '30' if that gives any idea. It's like a large 'P' shape, starting and finishing at the foot. Head wind out (12 miles), side wind (5 miles), sort of tail wind the last 8 miles, quite blustery. I did probably my slowest ever 25 time, 1-13-40, but I was pleased to get round without suffering to much (should have tried harder!) and I wasn't the slowest.

I rode my Vitus Duralinox bike which I really like. I may use it next week in another '10' on Wednesday.

The fastest time was an very impressive 56-21 but given that this guy was 12th in the National 50 Championships last weekend with a 1-51-30 on lanes in Cheshire then it shows his class. He rides 110" fixed - same as my top gear! How he got it up and over the climbs beats me, I was on my little ring.

The second fastest was around 1-8-30 which sort of puts my ride into perspective. At least it gives me something to improve on!

I've ridden a couple more 10's on 'average' courses - both on the Duralinox Old Skool - and recorded 26-37 in each of them. It seems that virtually every ride I do the seconds are 37 or very close - spooky!

Yesterday I rode a 25 near Thirsk on a strange course. All dual carriageway but two 12.5 mile laps which was a bit weird as I was catching riders from way in front of me and being caught by riders from way behind me. The wind was very strong and never seemed to be of assistance anywhere, the last couple of miles seemed endless!

I did 1-9-38 (those seconds again!) which is a 4 minute improvement and very pleasing to me as, in spite of the conditions, I got my minutes down to single figures which was my ambition.

I rode the MKM Ultimate (see readers Road Bikes) with 28 spoke sprints etc. but the tubs are quite heavy but still a bit more lively than clinchers I think.

Next event in Cheshire on 15 August which is a Planet X Old Skool event.

The season (well, mine at least) has now finished.

I ended up with a 24.17 for a 10 which is now 40 seconds of my lifetime best and I did 1.13.46 in the Seamons CC 25 in Cheshire which was an 'Old Skool' event which I rode on my MKM. It was a hard day on a hard course and possibly my slowest ever 25!

However, yesterday I realised why I possibly wasn't going as fast as I could have done on my 'modern' TT bike (Giant TCR, tri-bars etc.). I stripped it down to use the parts on another frame and discovered that I could hardly turn the BB axle by hand, it was virtually seized solid! That must have slowed me down somewhat! It's a Shimano cartridge one which I have several of on various bikes including MTB and winter bike and none of the others has given a moments trouble.

Anyway, it'll give me something to aim for next year - that is if I decide to do it again!

Surfr":3sza2oxc said:
Long story short. PB gone from 34.58 to 31.55. Hardly a superstar, but TTs aren't about that are they :D

Managed to get my PB down to 29.15 by the end of the season. I was marshalling and time keeping for the last outing on this course for the year. Next years challenge is to break into the 27s! Long winter of training ahead.

Back