The state of "our" postal system outside of the EU.

o_O strongly disagree with that. I can't fault it here to be honest. La Poste works good nationally, and internationally.

With some digging they say upfront what can and cannot be tracked. I've only had one fcuk up in sales to Bulgaria where they didn't insist on the last mile. You are right that that the industry completely changed due to Covid, could make short-cuts, which is now sadly the new norm.

They also up front in November say exactly what the cost is for an entire calendar year ahead - despite what could happens with fuel prices. I get deliveries 6 days a week in very very rural zone.

I've worked in logistics in many different levels - it's the most horrible industry where a 10% margin is considered good. People expect it to be done almost free and will often sacrifice quality, insurance, etc. for just cheap. It's cut-throat, but lets say this - if you wanted to do the transport yourself it would cost umpteen umpteen umpteen times more. All these companies recruiting gig workers is border line criminal.

Remember, it's only worthless old nuts you ranted about. Not medical supplies, not key parts for industry, not arms to fight a war etc. etc.

Give the ladies and gents some slack who keep the world turning. Unfortunately we tend to remember when it goes bad, not when it goes good.

Could do with something like Godwins law to describe when someone shoehorns Brexit in as the reason for something being rubbish, despite it being similarly rubbish all over the world.
I wouldn't know about it being solely because of Brexit, but I mean it's a valid point to say it is crap now compared to before the end of the transition period and pre Brexit surely? You just shipped and it arrived. No longevous customs visits and constant need for scrupulous declaration.

I certainly would not say buying from destinations such as the UK, US, Russia or any of the Pacific countries feels particularly intuitive compared to shipping between EU countries. I receive stuff from obscure Greek shops within 3 to 4 days, France and Germany sometimes 2 days. Same goes for private persons selling stuff, on Kleinanzeigen I usually wait maximum 3 to 4 days before its delivered to my door.

Shipping within the EU has improved immensely

Reactions: Woz
If I go back about 6 or 7 years, shipping even within EU countries was horrendous compared to now. At least in my experience.

I agree with your post, but this wasn't about the "old nuts".
The state of the postal services is terrible, I even defended why they do it (getting paid by the package, no contract with the postal service etc)
It's a terrible job the way it is now, but that's called free market and supply and demand.
Saying my old nuts are worthless doesn't make your argument any stronger though, it isn't even part of the argument as far as I'm concerned.

Admittedly I've had zero good experience with PostNL. They're also one of the hubs for all the Chinese stuff alongside Hungary though aren't they

Admittedly I've had zero good experience with PostNL. They're also one of the hubs for all the Chinese stuff alongside Hungary though aren't they

Most Import from the EU goes through the Dutch ports, not necessarily moved with the Postnl after they unload.
I'd assume those are private freight companies.

If I go back about 6 or 7 years, shipping even within EU countries was horrendous compared to now. At least in my experience.

Agree. At one point you had to be mad to ship to Italy. For the past 15 years or so, nothing but improvements - even to mountain chalets with no address that the IT world still can't believe exists and with some sensible flexible coding you can still do it online.

Back