The start of mountain biking in Britain 1984 picture thread

Re: Re:

GrahamJohnWallace":18lueie7 said:
*The event was run along side a pre arranged HPV track event. (some also say a BMX event?)

That jogged dormant memories; HPV events were an exciting new development then, and we went on to to a bigger event later on the Isle of Wight which I remember vividly. I had thought the photos I recently dug up were of that later event – but prompted by your remark I went back to look at my recently digitised versions, and they were indeed at Lea Valley Park. As I only went there the once to my recollection, it must have been on that day!

I cannot be certain as to BMX events on the same day, but it is likely; certainly all the initial heats started off using the BMX track before continuing a wider loop back to the BMX start line.

Attachments

• HPV @ Lea Valley, 1983.JPG
    HPV @ Lea Valley, 1983.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 2,014

NigelMoore":2zkoys4j said:
Hoping this is not too off-topic, but thought those of you familiar with Covent Garden Cycles might like this jog to the memory -

Another pic of CGC. Not off-topic as it was Norman, of course, who brought possibly the first mountain bike to the UK.

Attachments

• CGC.jpg
    CGC.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 2,002
Norman Hiller's Tom Ritchey

Possibly the first mountain bike in the UK?

Attachments

• TR.jpg
    TR.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 2,003
  • TR2.jpg
    TR2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 2,002
I am utterly hopeless with names, but the rider in the Diamondback top worked at Covent Garden Cycles and was, at the time at least, dating Norman’s daughter. I am moderately sure also, that the blonde rider on foot, holding his helmet in his right hand in one of my photos above, was also an employee of the time, who went on to work for Bicycle magazine and ended up breaking the speed record one year, in America, on the upright “Bluebell” [was that the name?] that had featured in early UK successes.

Tom Ritchey again

More photos of the TR from a contact sheet.

Attachments

• TR3.jpg
    TR3.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,995
Dirt Disciple - that was the bike I rode in the Lea Valley event. Norman had booked me in for it, and lent me the bike the evening before. I had the one test ride from the shop back to Paddington, then rode from there to Lea Valley Park the next morning. It was a little too big for me really, and I hadn't got used to the gear changing by the time of the race start [part of my range of excuses for being pipped at the post!]

Re:

Have just noticed that "Dirt Disciple" applies to me also - presumably a cute description of one's posting status? So, sorry, I meant to address "hmmhmm" of course. That isn't you in the photos is it?

For so long as the shop photos are at least obliquely on-topic, this is the adjacent workshop -

Only for use by the top-flight mechanics of course; lesser mortals were relegated to the curbside. ;)

Attachments

• CGC Workshop, 1983.JPG
    CGC Workshop, 1983.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,979

NigelMoore":206yy9id said:
Have just noticed that "Dirt Disciple" applies to me also - presumably a cute description of one's posting status? So, sorry, I meant to address "hmmhmm" of course. That isn't you in the photos is it?

For so long as the shop photos are at least obliquely on-topic, this is the adjacent workshop -

Only for use by the top-flight mechanics of course; lesser mortals were relegated to the curbside. ;)

We may have been 'relegated' to the kerbside - but it was only on good days. Anyway, it looks like Norman had you locked in there!

And yes, it's me in the photos. I'm a lot older/balder/fatter/uglier now. And I think the other guy in the photo is Dave, Norman's (half-) brother.

Latest posts

Back