The start of mountain biking in Britain 1984 picture thread

Re:

Found some photos of what I think is the first Wendover bash.
One of them shows Richard Ballantine, and a couple of Norman Hiller.
Photos are of the downhill ride, gradient shown by the angle the people are standing in the last photo.

Attachments

• Wend1.jpg
    Wend1.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 2,532
  • Wend2.jpg
    Wend2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,531
  • Wend3.jpg
    Wend3.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 2,532
  • Wend4.jpg
    Wend4.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 2,532
Re:

Great pics! I know that hill, and it's a lot steeper than it looks on the photos. Bit overgrown the last time I saw it.

Wow first time I've come across this thread I was born down the road in Aylesbury and visited the woods numerous times with my mum an dad and my brothers. I was riding in them woods around 78 to 82 after that my bike was too good for riding forest paths, I'd pushed my bikes up the hills :facepalm: with no forestry commission bans you could ride where you like happy memories :D Is there still a DH track at Aston Hill that came about in about 2007 IIRC

Re: Re:

hmmhmm":tvmh7yfi said:
Found some photos of what I think is the first Wendover bash.
One of them shows Richard Ballantine, and a couple of Norman Hiller.
Photos are of the downhill ride, gradient shown by the angle the people are standing in the last photo.
Yes those are photos of the first Wendover Bash and so the first downhill mountain bike competition in Britain, maybe Europe? Thanks for sharing!

It's great to see photos of Norman Hiller. I remember him as the friendly owner of the original Covent Garden Cycles shop in London. I used to visit there most lunchtimes back in 85/86 when I worked in the area.

kingbling":tvmh7yfi said:
Wow first time I've come across this thread I was born down the road in Aylesbury and visited the woods numerous times with my mum an dad and my brothers. I was riding in them woods around 78 to 82 after that my bike was too good for riding forest paths, I'd pushed my bikes up the hills :face palm: with no forestry commission bans you could ride where you like happy memories
78 to 83 was the time that Geoff Apps was developing his bikes in these woods gradually evolving his 'Tracker bikes' into something that could actually be ridden up the hills. By the end of 82 he was just starting to manufacture his bike designs from the front room of a cottage in nearby Rowsham. Probably the first mountain bikes to be manufactured in Europe and certainly the first 650b wheeled mountain bikes.

What were you riding back then? and were there many others riding off road at the time?
kingbling":tvmh7yfi said:
:D Is there still a DH track at Aston Hill that came about in about 2007 IIRC
Yes, the Aston Hill DH is still running and popular.

I actually had a 24inch road bike that I'd built up from allsorts at the time never had a proper MTB back then. I used to ride through Rowsham on my way to my Nan's in Bletchley if only I knew. Never really saw people biking up it the woods back then a few tourers was about it. I used to ride up to Aston Hill and the make my way down the woods to the back of RAF Halton then into Wendover via Hale lane. Also used to ride up around Butlers Cross on the other side of Wendover

kingbling":2j70lyum said:
I actually had a 24inch road bike that I'd built up from allsorts at the time never had a proper MTB back then. I used to ride through Rowsham on my way to my Nan's in Bletchley if only I knew. Never really saw people biking up it the woods back then a few tourers was about it. I used to ride up to Aston Hill and the make my way down the woods to the back of RAF Halton then into Wendover via Hale lane. Also used to ride up around Butlers Cross on the other side of Wendover
Prior to 1981 the only place you could buy a mountain bike was in the USA. A couple were shipped over but the only homegrown offering was the Raleigh Bomber from 81, with Ridgeback and Muddy Fox/Araya bikes being imported in 1983. So the only people riding off-road in the UK would have been roughstuff riders using road bikes and young 'Tracker' bike riders mainly using home built bikes or the few street legal Cycle Speedway bikes fitted with brakes. Sometime in 1982 Geoff Apps became involved with the Rough Stuff Fellowship and started running monthly rides starting from Wendover Library car park. Riders came from all over the south of England came on these rides and some started similar rides nearer to home. This led to the formation of the Cross Country Cycling Club with its network of monthly rides being held all over Britain and their promotion through the CCCC Making Tracks newsletter.

So organised UK mountain bike riding was just at the conception stage as you were leaving the area in 82. This also connects to the early competition events held in the area and later to Jeremy Torr co-founding the Mountain Bike Club (MBC).

I was with the Aylesbury CC at the time and a guy called John Pickard was also with the CTC he organised a few rough rides out around Checkers actually didn't leave Buckinghamshire until I was 28 but lots of other things had taken my interest by then such as cars and women such is life's distractions

Latest posts

Back