The Six Nations is almost upon us!

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So...... Thoughts?

Please bear in mind that all of the opinions expressed below are from the mind of an avid Welsh fan and just intended as banter so no getting knickers in a twist! ;) ;)

Going by recent (and World Cup) form, I'll go for the obvious and take Wales or France for the win. Will there be a Grand Slam this year? Difficult to say... England are too unsettled at the moment to win it (in my opinion), and their World Cup form would suggest that any of the other 5 teams could be their stumbling block..

I always enjoy watching Italy play, but they don't have the class as a team to be able to win the tournament...Yet.

The same goes for Scotland, although they're getting better each year and have provided some of the most entertaining games that I've seen. I was at the Millennium Stadium in 2010 when 'Super Shane' went over in the 82nd (or was it 84th) minute to secure the win for Wales and secure £250 for me (thank you, Ladbrokes ;)).... Why Scotland didn't kick to touch just before full time I'll never know... I can't wait to see Scotland face England. I think it'll be a cracking game, and there could be a win in it for the boys in blue.

Wales' first game against Ireland (in Ireland) will be a tough test. Ireland didn't have the best form in the World Cup but they're never a team to be taken lightly and are every bit as capable of winning the tournament as France are if they get off to a good start, which they'll be looking to do.

If Wales beat Ireland then they will carry the momentum through to their next game and will build on it. Personally I can't wait until Wales face England at "the Fortress" :)roll:) on 25th February - they upset England there in 2008 and they are the in-form team out of the 2 at the moment so let's knock the wheels off the chariot again ;)

En-ger-lund have always been dangerous, but I just don't feel that they're as much of a threat this year (famous last words!)... With Johnson gone and a new interim coach in place, I don't feel that they're settled enough. There's nothing like a good, solid coaching foundation. Sadly, England at the moment have nothing like a good, solid coaching foundation...

And then there's France.... Which France will turn up? Will it be the fantastic, flowing, unstoppable France just as in 2010, or will it be the 'other' France... The ones who can't catch, who run backwards and whose defence has more holes in it than a slice of Leerdammer. Zut Alors!

I'll be in Cardiff watching all of the matches and I have tickets to what could very well be the tournament (maybe even grand slam) decider - the Wales vs France match on 17th March...

Come on Wales! Cymru am byth..

I think England will be thoroughly p*ssed off at their display in the RWC and will be wanting to right some wrongs, you mention the dodgy coaching but what happened to England when they had coaching problems at the 2007 RWC? It's a different team I know, but we shall see...

Wales and France are in form too, I think it will be between those three personally, can't see Ireland doing much (famous last words again!), likewise Scotland and Italy.

It's looking to be a blinder this year!

rosstheboss":3qa41kyt said:
I think England will be thoroughly p*ssed off at their display in the RWC and will be wanting to right some wrongs, you mention the dodgy coaching but what happened to England when they had coaching problems at the 2007 RWC? It's a different team I know, but we shall see...

Wales and France are in form too, I think it will be between those three personally, can't see Ireland doing much (famous last words again!), likewise Scotland and Italy.

It's looking to be a blinder this year!

It's definitely got the potential to be one of the best 6N for a good few years.. Mind you, 2005 and 2008 weren't such bad years if you were Welsh ;) !

Henson is back in the Wales squad now but he hasn't had much game time. It will be interesting to see how he copes and whether he can perform at the top of his game. If he can then he's magic.

Also, don't you just love the way that people can talk about rugby, no matter what team they support, without abusing each other?!

Not only that, but being in town on a match day (especially 6 nations in Cardiff) is absolutely brilliant. Hundreds of thousands of people, supporters of both teams, all drinking and having a laugh together. None of this segregation nonsense and hardly a policeman in sight (apart from those directing traffic).

Shame the same can't be said for a lot of Wendyball supporters...

Yes apart from in Australia!

My sisters ex followed the Lions tour in Oz in 2001, and after the last game was leaving the ground, where we had just lost the series. He was then followed by a group of Wallabies supporters who kept challenging him to a fight, they followed him for ages until he thought 'sod it, the next bar I see I'll go in and see if they'll not leave me alone' Soon enough a bar hove into view with the added bonus of seeing lots of Lions shirts in there. He worked and amongst the crowd of Lions supporters he found the entire Lions squad and coaching staff having a drink!!!

Needless to say the Wallabies supporters didn't give him any more grief!!!

rosstheboss":16yai98w said:
Yes apart from in Australia!

My sisters ex followed the Lions tour in Oz in 2001, and after the last game was leaving the ground, where we had just lost the series. He was then followed by a group of Wallabies supporters who kept challenging him to a fight, they followed him for ages until he thought 'sod it, the next bar I see I'll go in and see if they'll not leave me alone' Soon enough a bar hove into view with the added bonus of seeing lots of Lions shirts in there. He worked and amongst the crowd of Lions supporters he found the entire Lions squad and coaching staff having a drink!!!

Needless to say the Wallabies supporters didn't give him any more grief!!!

Sounds scary!! Unfortunately there will always be the odd exception. Thankfully, with rugby, these types of supporters are very much in the tiniest of minorities... I don't think I've ever heard of a "Rugby Hooligan"..?! ;)

The only 'rugby hooligans' I've ever heard off were some Aussie rugby league supporters, certainly nothing in the UK..

Latest posts

Back