The power of wooden tool boxes

all the best to you an your family

this would make good topic for cool handmade things you cant buy

Re:

You should see my pink floyd themed coffee table and matching laptop bench....this is one of my main hobbies i do apart from looking at me shiny bike..... :facepalm:

When i left school at 16 i did a 6yr apprenticeship as a master pattern maker, traditionally when you finish your apprenticeship aged 22 your first job is to use the skills you've acquired over the last 6yrs to make yourself a swanky wooden tool chest with dovetailed drawers and such. You can spot the more accomplished pattern makers just by looking in their tool chest.. During my apprenticeship some of the old pattern makers i'd worked with were retiring and in a similar vein.. tradition dictated that you pass your tools on to the next generation for a nominal fee (as they acquired them) so aged 22 i already had 2x tool chests and a bench box so instead, i decided to make myself a set of chisels in a display case from hss Wadkin planer blades. After many years of my chisels/apprentice piece being entirely ornament, i donated them to the Ken Hawley Tool Collection..

Would love to see photos. I’m a very amateur woodworker with very little skill but it’s something I really enjoy. Buying planes, chisels and old woodworking tools is almost as addictive as bikes. My last project was making my wife a pair of hand carders for wool/felt work. I made them using some wood I had saved from her late Grandfathers shed stash which makes them extra personal.

I haven't got any photos of my apprentice piece, t'was back in the days before digital photography.. when cameras only made an appearance at birthdays and weddings.. at least they did in the north of england, i've got a few photos of my woodworking tools though..
Some of my paring gouges, most of these are c1914-16 Wards (so i'm third generation) and stamped with a little elephant In Honor Of Lizzie

fullsizeoutput_2c47.jpeg

Pax handsaws by Thomas Flinn Sheffield
fullsizeoutput_2c45.jpeg

Stanley Tri plane, Jack plane, Smoothing plane and Block plane
fullsizeoutput_2c49.jpeg

Spoke shaves
fullsizeoutput_2c4a.jpeg

Square, bevals, center finders by Stanley, Moore & Wright or Rabone Chesterman
IMG_6533.JPG

Guages, dividers, inside/outside calipers
fullsizeoutput_2c4b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c4c.jpeg

Back