The other "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread for 98

I have a wheelset hanging in my cupboard that was the OEM fitment to my 2000/2001 Scwhwinn four banger. I replaced these with a set of Mavic Crossmax rims in an effort to modernise the bike a bit and bring it a little more up to date. Not the usual stuff of RetroBikes I know, but until someone builds a new Lawill frame, I'm just going to have to stick with this...

The hubs are American Novatec units. I'm not familiar with the brand, so I know little about them, but they are very sturdy, and completely rebuildable units hewn from aluminium. They are fitted with easily replaceable sealed bearings sat behind o-ring sealed covers, making bearing longevity measurable on a calander, and servicing a doddle. The axles are straight, and the hubs run very smoothly. The bearings were last replaced in 2011, when I replaced every sealed unit bearing on the bike. They have done very limited miles since then. The hubs are compatible with 6 bolt brake rotors.

The spokes are black, and generally speaking, unmarked, un bent, and in good order/tension. Other than that, I can't tell you great deal about them...

The rims are Alex Rims EVDS25 "Downhill". I can't tell you a great deal about these either, other than they are double walled, have new rim tapes, and are very very strong. They are a lot wider than the new rims I have on the bike, so they are probably well suited to large volume tyres. These are 25mm between the inner faces of the rim flange, compared to the Mavics 19mm. I've run them with 2.5" tyres in the past without issue. The 1.95" tyres on my new wheels look pinched in comparison.

These are also extremely stiff, something I hadn't realised until I tried a different wheelset on this bike. According to the labels on the rim, these are made from 6061-T6 Aluminium, the material of choice for alloy frame builders. They would appear to be welded rather than sleeved, and seem to be a high quality rim. I've certainly seen a lot worse from companies I am familiar with. The rims are compatible with rim vbrakes, but have never been used with such.

The freehub is in good order, has no play, and is practically unmarked from 13 years of use, which just goes to show how gentle I've been with my bike, or at least how I'm not trying hard enough...

Overall, this is a very sturdy set of wheels, that run true and have seen little use. The decals are fading a bit, but everything else looks fine. I have no idea how much they wiegh, but when I compared them to the CrossMax's I installed last night, they weren't the heavyweight lumps I thought they'd be. I fact, I was a little disappointed there wasn't a bigger difference...

Question is, do I sling these in the back of the cupboard and hope maybe I find a use for them one day? Or are they actually worth something to someone?

photo.jpg

(Click for bigger pics)

The wheels look really nice, especially the hubs. I think you'll find that they won't fetch much. If memory serves me right, Novatech were one of many names used for joytech hubs. Norco used them branded as something different as did some other companies that I fail to recall now. I suspect you'll get from £60 to £80 with a good wind on Ebay.

Was just wondering how much people think my '99 Sunn Totall UN XC is worth? Everything is standard and original as it came apart from the seat, handle bars and pedals...

Pics on "readers bikes '98 --->" (sorry stupid phone is givin me limited options :/)

Thanks in advance...

i have got a 1998 k2 proflex 4000 in great condidtion and was wondering what it was worth. it has the smart shock on the front not the elastomers.

I have a full bikes worth of Hope Mono 6 disc brakes (unsure if Ti versions)
6 pot calipers with life left in pads, full Hope braided hoses. All black with Hope Team engraved on the black lever blades (they were supplied to a sponsored rider).

Would include 2 205mm hope floating rotors with black centres.

Only got this pic at the moment.

null_zpsac268d20.jpg

How much do you think they are worth?

I have every single issue of 'DIRT' magazine. I'm going to sell them but I really don't know what they are worth? 95% are in perfect condition, 5% a little rough round the edges but none are un-readable or in anyway ruined. I also have all the top 100's Dirt have done. I'd also include all the issues of GRIP that, in its short life, were produced.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 2,886
Okay, here's another one. How much do you guys reckon a good condition Merida Dominator Pro would go for? I don't really know anything about the bike except that it rides nicely, so some more info would be appreciated too! :)

Cheers,

Henri

Attachments

• Meridadominatorpro.jpg
    Meridadominatorpro.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,863
Hope brakes, look pretty good condition. Should sit you at about £200+ (especially if on ebay but have to pay fee's!).
Merida is probably worth about £100.

Back