The official BONDED BICYCLE thread !

Re:

My Raleigh Dyna-Tech, my biggest ever Ebay fail. Both chainstays have torn like they're made out of wet tissue paper on the insides ("Lovely compliant ride!" I thought when I took it for a test ride, "Must be that innovative wishbone design at the back end!" Er, no. The cranks have welded themselves to the spindle and rear brake needed drilling out. But it looked oh so shiny in the Ebay ad...

I went as far as contacting the company that made the glue that Raleigh used to stick the horrible thing together, so that I could figure out whether it would survive having the chainstays repaired without falling apart. It wouldn't, of course.

43769992720_c0d1e9557d_k.jpg

Re: Alan steerer tube and fork

skyhighsi":1mjmdgp2 said:
Hi All
I have recently discovered that my steerer tube is loose enough in the fork crown to be able to turn about 10 degrees clockwise and back to centre when the front end is assembled and you turn the bars with the front wheel between the legs.
Can anyone confirm how the steerer tube is attached to the fork crown on an Alan?? is it screwed and bonded like the rest of the bike?
Due to the steerer tube being 200mm long finding a replacement is proving impossible thus far so a repair might be my only option.
Thanks

steel steerer or alloy steerer tube?

both of the forks I have the stem is swaged in the bridge. so careful use of a press may fix it! using a suitable swage tool.

Re:

Those frame were usually bonded with some epoxy glue.
If I remember, some dynatech used some Easton alloy tubes bonded with Permabond® Glue

Re:

Its a steel steerer tube. Wasnt aware of swaging technique but will investigate. Permabond could be a good fix if i can bleed it in by capillary reaction.

Re: Re:

skyhighsi":v3vj789y said:
Its a steel steerer tube. Wasnt aware of swaging technique but will investigate. Permabond could be a good fix if i can bleed it in by capillary reaction.
if you look up from under the crown, you will see how the tubing has been lightly swaged out. don't over do it as cracking the crown casting will be the result :shock:

This is my much loved Opera Leonardo. Carbon main tubes, fork and wishbone seat stays, aluminium lugs, chain stays and head tube. The bb is stamped 00 and the seat post is 27.2 mm.

The fork, wishbone seat stays and bb/ chain stays seem identical to some Pinarello models of the time. I've read about the history of Opera within Pinarello, and noted the Opera line appeared to change the bonded carbon/ alu manufacturing very quickly, and I've only seen one other frame like this.

In terms of the questions around bonded frame longevity, it's been all ok so far.

It's still my only road bike - a joy out on a sunny day.

Any information and comments are welcomed.

Thanks

Tom

Attachments

• DSC05126.jpg
    DSC05126.jpg
    958 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC05128.jpg
    DSC05128.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 276
Back