Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google+

• Another bike site

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my name is Chris and I've been spending a lot of time on this website so I decided to take the plunge and join up.
I love building bikes up from scratch, especially giving old "tat" a new lease of life so you can see why this site has got me hooked lately. I have more bikes than your average normal person as I can't seem to part with them once they're finished. However looking at some other posts on here I'm clearly not alone.
My bikes are usually built to my taste rather than the original spec and also on a reasonable budget. For instance I favour v-brakes over canti's and they're likely to be whatever I can get cheap off Ebay rather than XTR.
My favourite place to ride is Cannock Chase and also love Clent Hills as that's on the doorstep where I grew up. Sadly due to having young children I rarely get to see these places and my only cycling at the moment is to and from work. It's an eight mile round trip, mainly downhill on the way and the opposite back. I really go for it on the way home and over the last eighteen months this has helped me get pretty fit again.
Anyway I've rattled on enough now. I'll try to post some pictures of my bikes when I'm feeling brave, until then just loving looking at everybody elses'.

Wandered in while doing a search one time for info on older XT parts, and I have dropped in every once in a while... Now I have a '93 Giant CADEX ALM-1 so I actually have something "Retro" I have been into vintage Cannondales for a while... Mostly their early touring models form the 80's, but I am just starting to get the MTB bug....

I am a California native, living in the Bay Area..(Richmond).... Mostly ride to commute, but sometimes I hit the fire trails......

Hello All,

Just want to introduce myself. My name is Curtis. I've only just joined the forum. I've got a 2001 Rock Lobster Ti and a 2009 Giant Yukon. I like both bikes but I've looked on the forum and decided that I'd like to try and build up a bike myself.
I've previous owned a 1989 Specialized Rockhopper, 1992 Peugeot something and a 1994 Orange P7 XT.

I've got some bits and pieces lying around but I'm trying to use the forum rather than eBay to get the rest.
I'm not trying to be 'original' yet. I just want to get my head around bike building.
Plus there's the added bonus of having a chance to build the bikes I dreamed of riding on my paper round when I was a teenager!

I'm not an expert on bikes or riding but eventually I'd like to end up with a nice steel frame like Roberts or Ritchey etc. In the meantime I'll be taking take the skin off my knuckles using bikes from various manufacturers.

Curtis

Joined this site a while ago looking for a new 'retro' ride, but due to some personal goings on, lost track with it.

Am currently riding a run of the mill GT Avalanche 1.0 but have fond memories of my bikes from years past.

Really want to get a Karakoram frame (ideally in red from 1991) to build up, and am in contact with someone at moment, but my first memory of a mountain bike where i went out on proper rides was my Ridgeback 602 lx SIS.

I also have a list of bikes that i want to own.... GT RTS, Alpine Stars, Klein and Pro Flex to name a few.... and although one day i will.. our first child on the way might delay things!! :D

Great website.

Just found this intro thread. My story goes back some way. First got into bikes when doing a paper round...back in ... well too long ago - early nineties. Bought myself a Marin Rocky Ridge and "IT BEGAN" Soon wanted suspension and it went on.

Went to university eventually and bought my dream bike - A Proflex 957 which had already been tweaked slightly, including Pace RC37 forks and better SPD pedals etc.

Now a decade on I am attempting to bring the proflex back to life, but in metallic black and with some extra jest! Trying to re-use what retro items I can, including the original V brakes.

Am based in Devon and aiming once rebuilt, to get up to my local Woodbury Common in East Devon to hit the trails! Trouble is, at 31, getting on the bike is proving tough, and the temptation of a 300bhp TDI car (tuned) is quite a lot! :D

Hello.

Just about to pick up my last 'proper' mountain bike purchase, a 98 klein pulse comp.

Bought it new (for a months wage!) from Harry Halls in Manchester, sold it to my mate around 2000... now he's getting something new so it's coming back to papa!

Will be poking around this forum to hopefully brush up on what kit will work best with her. I know the paintwork is full of chips and scratches but have no idea what state the groupset etc is like. :?

Will be fun getting back into biking at 37.

Hi, great website.

I stumbled on it yesterday doing a google search for info on a bike I had just purchased (Klein Pulse) and was amazed that the photo from the Gumtree ad on this site and a tale of woe from someone who was thinking of buying it.

I'll be using the site a lot for reference and help from now on as I'm a bit out the loop in terms of bikes and this place seems filled with experts.

welcome tazio

good bunch of folk on here ,macretro crowds okay too ,i suppose :LOL:

see you on a macretro ride out soon?

mikee":37g4qm2s said:
welcome tazio

good bunch of folk on here ,macretro crowds okay too ,i suppose :LOL:

see you on a macretro ride out soon?

Doubtful, unless it's a ratrun around streets, as I said on another thread I'm just trying to get my fitness back up and see how the knees and back hold out. I'm quite a bit away from the muddy stuff just now.

I seem to be using way more extreme gears than I used to and have a pedal cadence like a peloton rider. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back