Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another bike site

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have all the steel bikes gone?

Hi all,

I'm English but live in Montpellier in Southern France. I'm 38 now and getting back into cycling after many years of not finding the time/being a lazy git. I still have my 1991 Orange Clockwork, as well as an Overburys Pioneer frame and fork that I'm going to build up. These might be unique in France! I'll get some photos up at some point.

This is a great forum and really brings back memories. Right, off over to the roadie forum to introduce myself there too.

Hi - Another newbie. Just got hold of a 1992 Klein Rascal and have seen this site is a great source of info.
I used to road race in the mid 90s but Klein MTBs and other such exotica (at the time) was always admired. Making up for it now!

Hi

Hi, my names Rich and i've been on and off this site for a couple of days now. Got into MTB's mid 1989 and did my first race at Cannock Chase, Fallow Park that year. First proper bike was a Carrera Quattro Comp, followed by a Marin Ultimate Ti and a Giant MCM Team. Presently got a Sunn Revolt Gp, which i've had for about 12 years. Was going to sell it, but decided to restore over the winter. Got some great photo's which i will try to post on here, especially from the Clipstone Nationals 1991, were the Raleigh Team, Baker, Clarke, etc chainganged around with Tim Davies chasing them down. Good old days.

Hi

Hi my names Mike, and ....I ride a Carrera!

Stumbled on to this sight after looking for a new shifter for my steed. Yes, I know its only a Carrera but Ihave owned it since new from the mid 90's. Its a Carrera Infinity and was originally decked out with shimano STX but I have managed to change a few of the bits to Deore Lx and a few other non standard upgrades. Anyway not been riding for a long time but decided to get the bike back out a little while ago and cant believe how much I enjoy riding my bike!!
Still looking for some shimano Deore Lx sti shifters and brake levers to sort my bike again. Cant believe that so many people have such great old bikes and the memories they bring back. Cant wait to get some pics of my bike up for you to pull apart. I know its not the most exotic bike in the world but its my pride and joy and I love it, and it is old skool!!
Got a couple of old Road bikes so will pop over to the road section and introduce myself there to!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Time for another Newby introduction.....

My name is G (graham), and have ridden on and off since I was about 15 (obviously I knew HOW to ride before then, just didnt ride seriously).....

having had various old Raleigh's, Marin's and Peugot's, ive now built up a 1999 Kona Hahanna (I know, budget frame) as an experiment. I always wanted a steel Kona, so dipped my toe in with an ebay buy about a year ago for a tenner.... and built it up with my old stock of bits from previous bikes.

She's running with XTR M950 hubs on Mavic 517 ceramic rims and black double butted DT spokes, XT mechs, XTR brakes, and a Thompson layback post.

My idea now is to wait for the appropriate Kileaua or Explosif in the right size (Hannah is an 18, and a tad short to the stem, and all the frames I see are the same size, where are all the 19's???!!!!), and get it powder coated at work in a flat or matt steel grey or black (all the bits were specced to match my old grey Marin)

Anyway, hope to sort it soon, maybe with some help from on here?

Cheers
G

Hello, this is Tom ;)

Started mountainbiking in 1989 with a used Specialized (RockCombo = 26" Touring/Cross frame, 3x7 Suntour CX9010, Tioga Farmer John / Cousin). I raced cross country from that year until 2002 (on a steel frame for many years, at the end on a Hot Chili Zymotic). from 2003 until today I have mainly ridden racebikes "for recreational purpuse only" :D

During the years the Votec fork on my Hot Chili fouled, so I did not have a useable mountainbike for the last two years. So now I decided to rebuild it with a Manitou SX Ti and Sram X0 3x9. About the same time I recognised, that i miss my lightwight steelframes badly. So I bought a full XTR-equipped bike from Chech (not my size unfortunately) and a very nice lightweight frame from Italy (yet to arrive...). Unfortunately this frame comes without a fork...

...And here retrobike comes into it :D
I am looking for a lightweight mid-90ies suspension fork. A Pace would fit my build perfectly, and I was told by the former ownder of my frame, that I might find one here.

Pretty soon I recognised this to be a nice place on the www... :LOL:

Tom

Hello,

first of al sorry for my bad english,

I'm eejoor (danny) from belgium, riding since 1991, and racing dh and 4X until 2000. I sold al my full suspension bikes, i only kept my gt 16" backwoods (my '98 wich i got in '97 , so with 6061 tubing)

it stood in the shed al these years, and i started to ride again last year on the gt. i decided to treat myself to a new bike, but couldn't find a bike wich gave my the feeling of the old cannondale's, klein's ... that i used to have (and brake). So i started to look at a reasonable priced yeti or klein on the net, and I Found this site

To make it short, last week i bought a '96 zaskar le 18" with chris king headset, xtr m900 and period judy's for £150 and a cannondale delta v 2000 with m900 and ritchey cranckset for £100.

I will keep the zaskar to replace the 16", but will replace the cannondale frame for a klein or a yeti (and keep the m900)

so i Gues you will see me more on this great site

grtz,
eejoor

Forum noob, riding oldie. Sup ridin' bruddahs?

Lately I've been on an retro bike tear picking up an old Fat Chance and a Alpinestars frame off this forum. I guess like everyone here, I'm just enamored with the classic mountain bikes. Been riding since '90 when I got my first mountain bike - a '90 Giant Sedona ATX which sadly I no longer have.

This is a great forum and checking out the old rides is re-kindling memories from the past. Hopefully, I can pick up the bikes I lusted after when I was a poor kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back