The 'Keepers'.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

As some of you may have noticed hehe I'm selling off pretty much all of my Retrobikes and components. I am however keeping a few and I genuinely mean a few. My keepers list is as follows:

• 1. 1988 Specialized Rockhopper in yellow (See my signature) Because it was my first mountain bike. Left standard complete with reflectors in the wheels. If I ever find an 18" framed one in the same condition I may sell the 17" and move up to the 18".

2. 1994 Pro Flex 454. Because I love the frame and the back brake dooh daah rocker thing. Built up with a DX group set I think.

3. 1995 Kona Kilauea, silver. Built up with an XT group set, 1995 Manitou forks and thumbies.

4. 1997 GT Zaskar with 1995 (I think, the ones with the day glo green accent) decals. Because I love the look of the frame. Built with the Suntour XC Pro group set I have, including the XC Pro bottom bracket and wheels.

5. 1997 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS Comp. Because, well, it's amazing. Left as standard save for the forks as the original Rockshox were a write off when I bought it. It'll have my PAce RC36's fitted instead.

I think Iv'e made some good choices for my 'Keepers' what do you think.

Bear in mind that I'm selling my prized Orange Prestige and the two Explosif's Iv'e been saving for all these years.

I can't wait until iv'e built them all up, I can put them straight back in the loft again for another ten years and never use them, grrrreat.

Re:

Hey rich.

If you kept the orange prestige and, flogged everything else, that would satisfy
My expectations. That's a machine I associate with you.

That, and some boss jumps!

Take care cap'n.

Re:

If you REALLY wanted to you could thin it down even further.
I have 2 retro mtbs, only one (the Orange Prestige) is a true keeper for sentimental reasons, the other (Kona) could be replaced at any time if something else interesting comes along.
And I usually have one other project Mtb on the go, which will replace the Kona in due course...

You got any modern Mtb or road bikes?

Re:

Spot on rich, I dont think folk appreciate how much you've stashed away, this isnt even 5 percent Haha

Re: Re:

marc two tone":2s7pxh1c said:
Hey rich.

If you kept the orange prestige and, flogged everything else, that would satisfy
My expectations. That's a machine I associate with you.

That, and some boss jumps!

Take care cap'n.

Hi Marc :) Sadly the Prestige has gone. It was too small for me anyway and I only kept it because it was so nice and was the 1993 model. Another may turn up and as I did with the one I sold I'll buy it whatever the cost. Every now and then a bike comes along that you just have to have, I didn't even barter when I bought the Prestige.

Hope you're doing well.

jimo746":x93wxm81 said:
If you REALLY wanted to you could thin it down even further.
I have 2 retro mtbs, only one (the Orange Prestige) is a true keeper for sentimental reasons, the other (Kona) could be replaced at any time if something else interesting comes along.
And I usually have one other project Mtb on the go, which will replace the Kona in due course...

You got any modern Mtb or road bikes?

I have two modern, my 2005 Specialized FSR-XC and I bought a 2007 Specialized FSR-XC for the wife. I have to say that those are the true keepers as I can ride them anywhere and do anything on them. I'll always have a handful of old bikes knocking about because, well, I just can and I like faffing about with them hehe.

longun":3sq53wbz said:
Spot on rich, I dont think folk appreciate how much you've stashed away, this isnt even 5 percent Haha

Nice to see the collection's being appreciated Chris hehe.

Update:

The Prestige is going to a guy in Greece.
Both Kona Explosif frames have been sold to fellow enthusiasts.
The Trek frame has a bid on it.
I sold some Indy C forks.
I sold an XTR front mech to a bike shop down south.

I still have the following in the loft:

1988 Rockhopper
1993 Orange Elite
1994 Proflex 454
1994 Saracen Race Elite
1995 Kona Kilauea
1997 GT Zaskar
1997 Specialized Stumpjumper FS Comp

Also still have the two Specialized FSR-XC's, a 1999 Kona Explosif as my work bike and the wife's Raleigh M-Trax work bike. And the usual 5 or so box's of components, one of which is a box full of front and rear mechs most of which are Deore XT level or DX. I actually have a bag full of hand re furbished DX rear mechs, all stripped re finished by hand and re built. Then there's the wheel of which I have about 5-7 pairs, mostly Deore and XT from varying years.

Oh and I have quite a few pairs of forks, Pace x2, Direct Drive, Marzocchi, Rockshox.

Chainsets, Shimano XT / Deore etc, Curve, Race Face and a few more.

Now, where did I put that Suntour XC Pro Group Set I had..........hhmmmm...........

:)

Oh....and I just bought a 2005 Suziki Bandit 650 S and an old friend of mine has given me an old 1952 Royal Enfield 350cc Bullet barn find to restore!

The Royal Enfield 350cc Bullet: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/ind ... ic=28286.0

Back