The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi All,
Just a quick message to introduce myself.

Basically stumbled upon this site a couple of months back and it bought it all flooding back to me !!
Years ago I used to ride a lot, but turned 17 bought a car and hardly rode again, now all grown up with kids.
Was amazed that soooo many people have a thing for these old bikes!! I used to be a Marin lover back in the days, had a whole string of them Muirwoods, Pine Mountain, Palisades. Just gutted I sold them all :(

Still When I saw this site I said to myself I gotta have one !!

Since then I visited the inlaws to find out my wife has a immaculate Muddy Fox Monarch Team (in purple !!) It even has the original Muddy Fox suspension forks. I have now managed to pursuade her to let me have it :)

I have also bought a GT Backwoods fitted with RoxShox Indy C's that requires a lot of work, basically the muppet before me stripped all the original paint off and it is now just plain aluminum, but I have a neighbour who is a car painter so will hopefully soon have nice bike.

I will get round to posting some photos on here at somepoint, then you can tell me if my Muddy Foxx comes into the catergory of Retro !!

Thanks

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a while, and now the ball has started rolling with a 1996 Kilauea … guess I won't be satisfied with just my Cannondale F800 anymore! :)

Hello all. I'm a 31 year-old engineer living in West London. Been riding the same bike ('96 HSW Fuji Stoutlite I built up myself) for twelve years now. Don't know if that's retro or just tight of me?

Got knocked off my motorcycle last month and have been confined to the house ever since. Light duties will include a re-vamp for my ride I think...

Can see myself spending plenty of cash with you lovely people.

Cheers, T..

Hi all.

Another 31 year old engineer (software).

Mountainbiking started for me around 1988 and I stell remember my first copy of MBUK purchased on the way to school with my lunch money. However, funds were tight and after a bit of saving and pleading with parents, I got myself on an extraordinarily heavy Ridgeback 601 in around 1990. I thrashed this thing around Richmond Park, Bushey Park, Crane Park, Virgina Waters and wherever else I could find close to the SW of London (and within cycling distance). Eventually it was nicked as most bikes in London are, and I moved away to Aberystwyth where my cousin had just begun importing Parkpres. I jumped at the chance and bought a Comp Limited at cost price which I absolutely adored throwing around Nant-yr-Arian until I needed the money after returning from 2 summers leading canoe expeditions in the Canadian Rockies. A couple bikeless years followed and eventually I bought a Marin Quake 5.0 which I still have today. I've a road bike now too and am trying to build a road/turbotrainer fixxie and a SS MTB (early 90s Kona with P2 forks Is what I fancy). However, money is tight as I just payed out for my wedding.

The ridgeback, as seen in another thread

349009264_5e9902f904_o.jpg

hi folks, new guy here! been reading the forum for a while now and finally got joined up thanks to john giving some help(i'm an aol user). getting back into mtb'ing and even more so now i realise there's such a following for the ones from bitd :cool:. Bit about me, my name's alan, i live in sw scotland and i work for a large landscaping company, 26 1/2 years young and i love cars, motorbikes, mtb's, kayaking and music. Bit about bikes, was into bmx as a youngster, first a raleigh burner(got stolen :( ) then ruption, hoffman, mongoose, an old dp etc then i picked up a muddyfox courier off one of my mates, i loved that! sold it and my bmx and got a marin bear valley(again secondhand), then onto a specialized rockhopper that i had loads of fun in the galloway hills with and finally i bought my first new bike, a (made in the usa) trek 920 singletrack from carrick cycles in ayr. this went through loads of different phases and looks before being retired to my dads shed with things like gsxr's getting my attention. Now married and in my own home, i started going cycling with my mrs on her horse and had an old peugeot surfer mtb which put me in the notion to go over and see what i had left at my dads. Basically the trek frame and a few parts! SOOOO thats whats brought me to here, building it back up keeping it retro and singlespeeding it at the same time....

Hi all,

New to the site, although appear to be buying up quite a bit of old stock at the moment. I am 38 yo and first got into mtbing in the late '70s. Using old raleigh road bike with cow horn bars. You would trash the bike, but keep the bars - they were the only thing of value. Eventually moved onto skateboards (long boards and dirt boards) - so really carrying on the off-road theme.

In the teens did the usual bmx route, using a gt (i think it was a pro-lite (and not that lite)).

Got to uni and everything came to a stop. By the time I had hit the late 20's I went out and bought a GT zaskar for £450 and have kept it ever since. Moved from mtb to road with the foot and mouth and then into tri - which is where I have been for the last few years.

I have 4 kids, 3 of which are old enough to race and they all got into cx - which is great fun with a 6-year old racing. Decided that I should get back into the off-road stuff. So I looked at selling the zaskar - but after looking at the various bikes and prices decided to tidy-up and go out and race on it again.

Changed the shifters and put on a new bb - it felt so good - so I am now changing quite a bit.

I have a few weeks work to get it back to a decent standard and will then post pictures etc.

Experience so far has been that this site is an absolute find, great people, good advice and excellent kit that I have bought from various people. Keep it going.

Hi all. This is my first post on your excellent board.

I started out on rigid steel MTBs back in the early '80's, and when I went FS, I just couldn't part ways with steel, so I had a custom Amp built in '93 (I'll post some pics and specs in the Reader's Bikes section). I've tried quite a few modern FS wonder bikes since then, but I always end up preferring my soulful old custom to the somewhat generic-feeling state-of-the-art machines. Go figure! ;)

Hey Everyone,
same old story, been browsing the forums 4 a while now, thought it was time i should register. Got into MTB's in my early teens, had a Marin Palisades and Pine Mountain, but always lusted after Klein's. But got a car when i was 17 and stopped riding, until for reasons out of my control i had to stop driving 5 years ago now, so had to go back on 2 wheels!

Bought a cheap Cannondale M800 "Beat From The East" then thought i would go on a Klein hunt and live the dream! also do road riding as you can tell from my signature, but they aren't retro!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back