The Hunt for Hilton Wrigley (long and with photos)

This is a great story, I can't imagine having the dogged determination to see it through like you did. It has real resonance for me as I live in Slaithwaite (or Slawit as the locals call it) which is only 3 miles down the road from Marsden. I'm a recent immigrant to Yorkshire, so I'm a bit ignorant of the cycling history and local characters like Hilton from the past.

The frame looks fantastic and as for Chris's workshop I could easily spend hours in there picking through all the fantastic old frames in various states of repair from rust buckets to beautifully restored ones like yours. He's a sound bloke and as Old Ned says well worth a trip to spend a while talking over all things bike. Sorry if I've held up work on your frame when I've been there!

Looking forward to part two.

Mark.

Great story,

I've never heard of this frame builder before (more than likely due to my age) and the fact that he's from huddersfield (my hometown) has really got me yearning for one of these frames!

I mentioned it to my dad, and he seems to recall his uncle riding one of these bikes but he couldn't be sure, I'll have to take a trip and visit him myself, see if its still knocking around in his shed!

Thanks for sharing your story, truly brilliant. I hope you really enjoy the bike.

daccordimark":c7klvjsz said:
...It has real resonance for me as I live in Slaithwaite (or Slawit as the locals call it) which is only 3 miles down the road from Marsden. ...
Mark.

Mark, Here's an interesting detail. In 1966, Hilton and his family moved from Marsden to . . . Slaithwaite. Apparently, this was when he began to scale back his building of bikes and became more involved with photography.

Small world, eh?

More photos will be coming. Gotta winnow and upload.

Finding Hilton Wrigley: Chapter Two

Finding Hilton Wrigley: Chapter Two

Even today, I learn new things. I am especially pleased to be learning more about Hilton Wrigley, the man. The guy who built these lovely frames. But the details of that will wait. For now, the story is about actually getting my hands on my very own Wrigley frame.

After nearly a year with the refinisher, it was finally time to do something to get it extracted. As luck would have it, my job required/offered me a fast trip to London. When I said fast, they gave me two nights and one full day of meetings. Still, this was the excuse that Norris could use to go prod the finishing work into gear (ANY gear).

The idea was that the frame could be completed and then shipped to my London hotel. I traveled with carry-on only, and figured I could use my UA traveller status to get the frame into luggage for free or cheap. But, nearly a month’s notice wasn’t enough. We were right down to the wire. I still went with only carry-on luggage, and it was still in the realm of possible.

Unbelievable? Norris Lockley, the man and legend, who is no young guy, offers to bring it by overnight bus to London! He literally offers to deliver it, even though I know I’ll be prisoner in a meeting from which I simply could not even step out, and then he would return by evening bus. !!!!! The man. The legend.

I couldn’t accept. Anyway, as the hours drew nigh, it was clear that the frame was short the final clear coat so even the most crazy plan was out. The up side of all this was that I had several hours of an evening telephone chat with Norris, which was a great experience in it’s own right. I flew home without the frame.

THUS, the delivery of the frame was down to the quotidian FedEx, and a truly fabulous packing job by Norris. Small and so safe that it could have been thrown from the cargo bay without damage. I’m pleased to say that it wasn’t, and that it sailed thru customs and was in my living room less than 48 hours after it was picked up from Norris’s house.

SO, without too much more fanfare. . . Some photos.

FIRST: THE NEW GREEN FRAME IS NOT THE SAME FRAME AS THE BLUE ONE FIRST SHOWN IN THE Opening Post.

In the story, it is explained how this trade occurred. Here is the ONLY photo I had of the frame that I now own. The key points to me: It was a 60cm. and it had a good report from Norris regarding its condition. Good enough.

Anyway, here is my only “Before” photo:

Hilton-Wrigley042.jpg

And here are a smattering of the frame and fork as delivered. The color varies a bit, with flash and mostly without.

DSCN2687-1.jpg

DSCN2656.jpg

DSCN2659.jpg

DSCN2667.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

DSCN2686cut.jpg

DSCN2679.jpg

DSCN2740.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

More anon.

Mmmm, coming on nicely. Probably built for 27" wheels so 700C will need long drop brakes as can be seen in the rear wheel shot. Nice looking 'retro'ish' tyres by Trek. Can't remember seeing them before. Are they available in UK?

I do like that shade of Green. Chris had another frame in a very similar shade a couple of weeks ago when I was there.

Old Ned":b9y20g10 said:
Mmmm, coming on nicely. Probably built for 27" wheels so 700C will need long drop brakes as can be seen in the rear wheel shot. Nice looking 'retro'ish' tyres by Trek. Can't remember seeing them before. Are they available in UK?

I do like that shade of Green. Chris had another frame in a very similar shade a couple of weeks ago when I was there.

The Trek logo on those tyres looks pretty old - mid 90s maybe - so I'm guessing they're a NOS item. Road tyres from the Trek empire these days seem to mostly bear the Bontrager name.

David

Yes, the Trek tire is a NOS item. I have three of these nice tires, but I don't have a front wheel to match this one. I'll start my build with a pair of 35mm Schwalbe XR wheels. When I can get myself a proper front wheel to match, then I'll swap.

The frame was built for 27", but the long reach brakes I've put on could reach to 650B (if I had 'em). WIDE clearance up top, but the rear chain stays just barely clear the 35mm tires, and I mean just barely.

I'm hoping to have enough bits on it to take a trial ride this weekend.

More photos in due course!

The Hunt for Hilton Wrigley

The frame that Chris was working on a couple of weeks back,with the same flamboyant green paint, was a Hetchins Magnum Bonum ( or Opus), unless of course he has had a run on demand for this colour since working on Owen's frame.

I was down in his workshop just about a week ago and he just finished the second clear coat, after adding about four small panels in either gold with red contrasting lining and also a similar head-tube (or versa-versa) if you get my meaning. the frame was one of several that a colector from Sheffield , Chris? HUdson, takes in on a regular basis.

The frame looked very stunning

just an off-the-cuff sort of comment...Owen's is the first Hilton Wrigley frame that I have seen that has painted with a flamboyant finish instead of just enamel..or the occasional metallic. I had one way back in the early 50s finished in a colour called 'polycromatic blue' ie metallic blue , with dark brown head and and seat tune panels; quite wierd when you think about it.

Another popular colour seemed to be deep mauve enamel..sometimes with dark green panels..I seem to remember that a plain enamel finish cost £1.10shillings ( thirty shillings/ thirty bob).or £1.50 in decimal money

I'm stuck in nostalgia lane..

Hi Norris!

Good to have you here. In picking the Flam Green, I just went with what I saw on the screen of choices. I wasn't really thinking period-correct (which isn't my forte, anyway!). I'm sure I would have been happy with a more traditional enamel green, but the flam green just popped off the screen.

Anyway, a few more photos are due.

The Refinished Hilton Wrigley: Test Build

Not (yet) having a matching front wheel to run the nice NOS Trek tires, I’ve pulled my “clod-hopper” wheels from my Hetchins for this. Big, fat 35mm Schwalbe XR touring tires and a good wide freewheel.

IMG_0405.jpg

I expect that not everyone will approve of my build, as it is certainly not period-correct. Quite new brakes, and bits and bobs as I like. The drive-train is technically a mismatch, but I like it. That said, this FD has been a very real PITA to adjust.

IMG_0445.jpg

Clearly, the bars aren’t wrapped, and the brake levers are still in temporary position while I sort out the fit.

IMG_0446.jpg

But the first nice ride today was simply lovely. Such a nice bike. A bit of a risk to do all this without a pre-refinish test. Luckily, it seems to have been a worthy gamble. I am very happy!

IMG_0451.jpg

for the moment. . .

Back