The argument section sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.
firedfromthecircus":2ldye929 said:
The History Man":2ldye929 said:
Maybe they have a monitoring software package that works on key words?

Here goes....

Brexit, poor, taxes, snp, sturgeon, election, farage, R.I.P. Daily mail, Klein, EU, immigration, smile, happy.

:LOL: :LOL:

I think we should just have a ban rule where people are automatically banned if they haven't posted something bike related in the last month, or, don't have at least 2 build threads, or, have never turned up on a ride. :mrgreen:

Good idea! I haven't even got a bike at the moment :-(

Re:

All joking/arguing aside, I have seriously been thinking of leaving the forum lately, after having first got the contact details of anyone I deal and chat with regularly on here, simply because I can't cope with the amount of vitriol there seems to be.

I've never been involved with forums before this one (well aside from OSMTB where Walden ruined it for me and I came here, but that doesn't really count as it only seemed to have a handful of members) so perhaps all forums are like this?

I know you could 'argue' that you could just choose not to read the threads but it's almost like car crash TV, you're just sort of drawn to it, and anyway, so many fairly innocuous threads end up degenerating into a fight, it's difficult to avoid it at times.

I came here thinking it was all about the bikes, I never even knew there would be such a thing as off topic. Or maybe to be fair it's just that after over 4 years, forum life has kind of run it's course for me.

The History Man":2w4vx5mu said:
And where are the usual suspects.
Yes there are a few regulars in G&OTC who give very little to RetroBiking but have lots to say in G&OTC I've thought that they should really look around for some kind of debating site if thats their bag.

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":2q9m2j5v said:
All joking/arguing aside, I have seriously been thinking of leaving the forum lately, after having first got the contact details of anyone I deal and chat with regularly on here, simply because I can't cope with the amount of vitriol there seems to be.

I've never been involved with forums before this one (well aside from OSMTB where Walden ruined it for me and I came here, but that doesn't really count as it only seemed to have a handful of members) so perhaps all forums are like this?

I know you could 'argue' that you could just choose not to read the threads but it's almost like car crash TV, you're just sort of drawn to it, and anyway, so many fairly innocuous threads end up degenerating into a fight, it's difficult to avoid it at times.

I came here thinking it was all about the bikes, I never even knew there would be such a thing as off topic. Or maybe to be fair it's just that after over 4 years, forum life has kind of run it's course for me.

We're not all like that. Stay and just filter out the crap. I have had my moments, but really, there are far more good, helpful people here, especially to relative strangers, than d*ckheads

Dave

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":2wqvrnct said:
All joking/arguing aside, I have seriously been thinking of leaving the forum lately,

this doesn't surprise me, from time to time i take a break myself, being a moderator especially of the General chat section is at times frustrating, having to read threads that are of no interest to me just because it's likely they'll be some stupid argument which can be set off by anything from politics to a perceived slight that didn't come across as the member meant it to via the keyboard.

i'd be happy if there was no general off topic section personally. i realise people want to talk about things other than bikes but so many threads over the years have turned horrible.

on a side note, i think all the Mods would appreciate not hearing the forums former Beetlejuice characters name mentioned, it tempts fate that he'll return.

So now that we have mods on this thread, how about an argument parking area as suggested in my original post?

Re:

Getting rid of General chat sounds like a great idea Jon!

I'd vote for that!

We are here for the love of old bikes, first and foremost. Although it is hard not to be sucked into other topics at times.

Mike

The History Man":2apddkkq said:
So now that we have mods on this thread, how about an argument parking area as suggested in my original post?

we're always here, we are omnipresent.

and the answer is no, it would be a thread of links to other stupid topics, the current system is the threads gradually die as they become less interesting, having a permanent link to every bitchfest bun fight would be stupid, annoying and just an utter bore to deal with for us the moderating team.

what most of the people who sit in the General section fail to realise is just how frustrating it is for a Mod, who is just a normal person by the way, and is generally here to talk about old bike stuff, but has to put up with silly arguments, bad traders, spammers, little tiffs between various members that started ages ago on the thread long since forgotten about.

it is a thankless task, and i signed up to it, what was i thinking? being the voice of reason amongst people on the internet . . . :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back