The anti Klein brigade.

When TREK bought & took KLEIN from "She"-halis, WA to WATERLOO, Wisconsin -(WIS-con-SIN) = Wisdom con Sin,
they probably hoped to transform KLEIN(small) into GROSS (big), but instead then KLEIN sank - became "Waterlooed" = NULL (0) 💩

The purchase of KLEIN was neither a thing of Wisdom nor a Sin, but without doubt many Klein owners felt CON-ned,
due to the fact, that Klein from "She"-halis, WA had always postulated to give a lifetime warranty for each frameset...
(something like a one million miles warranty on each frame....)

instead of a lifetime, it became a very short amount of time, amounting to a couple years at best or just a couple months...
depending when the bike was bought.

The technical Pinnacle (PEAK) of Klein was probably in its 20th year Jubilee year 1995-
& then when sold to Trek in August 1995 the quality just started dropping at an alarming rate.

1985 - 1995 = huge advances (optical, quality, technical, etc)
Sept. 1995 - 1998 total decline in quality, reputation etc...

Parallels to cars:
Imagine wanting to turn the brand "ROLLS ROYCE" into a brand most people could afford without ruining the things ROLLS ROYCES are known for:
(very high quality, very good service, high price, exclusivity, status, etc....)
JUST(don't)DO IT!! :mad:

When TREK bought & took KLEIN from "She"-halis, WA to WATERLOO, Wisconsin -(WIS-con-SIN) = Wisdom con Sin,
they probably hoped to transform KLEIN(small) into GROSS (big), but instead then KLEIN sank - became "Waterlooed" = NULL (0) 💩

The purchase of KLEIN was neither a thing of Wisdom nor a Sin, but without doubt many Klein owners felt CON-ned,
due to the fact, that Klein from "She"-halis, WA had always postulated to give a lifetime warranty for each frameset...

instead of a lifetime, it became a very short amount of time, amounting to a couple years at best or just a couple months...

The technical Pinnacle (PEAK) of Klein was probably in its 20th year Jubilee year 1995-
& then when sold to Trek in August 1995 the quality just started dropping at an alarming rate.

Parallels to cars:
Imagine wanting to turn the brand "ROLLS ROYCE" into a brand most people could afford without ruining the things ROLLS ROYCES are known for:
(very high quality, very good service, high price, exclusivity, status, etc....)
Rolls Royce=BMW so already done.

Uh oh 🥵 🥵 my size :oops:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Uh oh 🥵 🥵 my size :oops:

Can't remember too much about the Klein road bikes and have never seen one in the flesh to be honest.

Found this interesting - 1975. I actually like the paint job, decals and use of steel. It looks clean, fresh and fast in my eyes.

1702491693286.png

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parallels to cars:
Klein couldnt meet the demand, not by a country mile.

Unsure why any Klein owner at the time would feel conned though...? all Trek succeeded in doing for these owners was add more value and more exclusivity, Just look at the current market values and you can see this for yourself.

the quality didnt deteriorate, Trek created a larger range with different varying price points, creating a model range, naturally when price points are looked at, model ranges expand and with that comes material differences. The ethos of Trek in terms of quality control was exceptional, when compared to every other brand i had at the time.

ref Warranties, When Klein owned them, it was 5 years limited, when Trek took them on, it was the same until 98 (from memory), and then lifetime of the original owner, with a 1 year paint warranty and components warrantable the same or by there original OE supplier.

Treks reasons for the spending spree at the time, was much needed. And each of there purchases came at a time when each of the companies which were purchased, were over reaching in one way or another. The company owners themselves stand testament to this.

I wont bore you to death but for an analogy look at cars....

Audi...., VW, Skoda, Seat, Etc etc, all the same Owner, same technology, but now with bigger market presence and more choice.
Renault buys brand names, Digs them up from the pits of Hell,. for example DACIA, Same company same technology, But now with bigger market presence and more choice...

The bicycle business was no different.

Last edited:
I do agree with you mate but I think the issue with Trek has aways been that it's perceived that they buy the brands, pinch the best bits, then eventually run the company down and shut them. Unlike VAG they don't run Klein as their premium brand (Audi) or Fisher as their sporty brand (Seat). They just kept some names and technology then closed shop.

I do agree with you mate but I think the issue with Trek has aways been that it's perceived that they buy the brands, pinch the best bits, then eventually run the company down and shut them. Unlike VAG they don't run Klein as their premium brand (Audi) or Fisher as their sporty brand (Seat). They just kept some names and technology then closed shop.
I agree I think when things like this happen, its the general perception by most consumers to be fair.

I cant comment on the internal agenda obviously, but i think they gave it a fair run, running a brand for 7 or 8 years, through an ever changing market at a time, with less and less emphasis on cross country as time rolled on.

I'm unsure what technology was brought to the table during the mainstream years given Treks own history and manufacturing capabilities.
for example, had Trek not stepped in when they did we may never have seen a range of full suspension Mantras, the cost for Klein to make his original bike a reality was certainly cost prohibitive, and whilst it was, as many things, the design became a evolutionary dead end, I think this is a good example of why Trek made the commercial decision when they did.

Whether it was Gary Klein's company, or owned by Trek, if the market Changes and it becomes unviable sadly sometimes you have to make tough decisions for the greater good of the bigger picture moving forward.

With Manufacturing costs playing a huge part, and aluminium becoming so good and so low cost from the far east, im amazed it lasted as long as it did.

I dont think it was ever looked at as anything other than a Premium brand, i dont think Trek wanted to pigeon hole the brands they bought in this way. I think it was about remaining competitive in a very volatile world stage, the big three, Trek Cannondale and Specialized, all high quality mainstream brands.

Being able to offer a wider selection on the shop floors, One dealer could have Trek, Bontrager, Klein, Gary fisher, all of which had a range of bicycles, from the top to the bottom, all with there own image/brand following.

I always felt the Bontrager purchase was a really good one too, it was clear in the changing market at the time, that steel was seriously taking a back seat, but what they did, was not only saved the name, they gave us a designer and an engineer who could help push the envelope moving forward, Keith gave us everything from the V-Brake bitd to helping see disc brakes finding there way to road bikes, and everything in between.

Obviously, Trek were fully aware of there need to reduce the reliance on companies like Shimano, and there in house brand Matrix wasn't cutting it, Having a respected designer and engineer on board paved the way for them to be able to manufacture quality components with a respected brand name, and I'm sure thankful for his continued involvement, in the developments we have seen in the industry and sport since the buyout. Had Trek not seen the value, we may not have seen so many.

FWIW its only one point of view, but i think its safe to say, had a company like Trek Not stepped in when they did, not one of the brands would have continued at all.

Latest posts

Back