The 2011 Time Trial Season

Cheers, probably a good idea. I can gauge my (un)fitness levels cmpared to everyone else rather than just turning up and getting dropped! Always been daunted by the prospect of joining a club though, got any recommendations?

D

D▲NDY":28ht7ixz said:
Cheers, probably a good idea. I can gauge my (un)fitness levels cmpared to everyone else rather than just turning up and getting dropped! Always been daunted by the prospect of joining a club though, got any recommendations?

D

It depends where you live - and what your expectations are! Some clubs are 'hard riders' and others have graded runs to suit different abilities. Now is probably a good time to start getting some miles in before the winter runs get going. PM me and I may be able to advise you.

My last gasp (and only second) event for this season is the Scarborough Paragon CC 10 this Saturday. It's a "sporting" course I think so no improvement expected over the 27:50 from the Elmet event.

I keep toying with the idea of riding some hill climbs but I don't think I'll enjoy them the way I used to 20 years ago!

Oh, and on the subject of clubs I'm going to try a couple of rides with the Huddersfield Star Wheelers and see how I get on with them. Only reason to pick them was that they are local and seem to have a bit more presence on the Internet than the Huddersfield Road Club.

Mark.

Huddersfield RC are a very small club these days, not like the 50's when they were the country's leading road race club.

Well the V415 is sporting that's for sure. I turned in a new personal worst to record 30:31. I wasn't quite last as I managed to beat 2 juveniles and 3 vets older than me to come 28th out of 33 riders. The winner's time was 23:03.

Serious training required over the winter if I'm going to make a comeback in 2012!

I didn't even have the "handicap" of a retrobike as I rode it on my modern alu framed work bike with the mudguards off and 23c tyres on.

Mark.

Well, at least you had a go! I reckon all the courses over there are 'sporting' ones.

Lots of winter miles and a positive attitude will work wonders for next year. At least you have youth on your side.

Compared to me that is.

At least your personal worst is faster than mine ;)

Back