Tell me about tubeless...

Some more bullshit from me on this..... :roll:

I first tried (ghetto) tubeless in Greece, because out there all you have is thorns and rocks, and I was sick of going out for a ride and stopping every time to swap tubes and repair punctures. My tubes had more patches than tube.....

So, now (in Greece, it aint dry here) I'm using Michelin XC Dry 2 tyres on Mavic 717 rims with 20" Schwalbe inner tubes as the rim strip. *Hot tip* If you put double sided tape on the rim before you fit the 20" tube then the rim strip will stay in place better when you come to change tyres :idea: . I use Schwalbe because they have removable Presta cores and I add the sealant with a 25ml. syringe.
I replaced the rear tyre this October and when I ran my hand around the inside of the old one there were literally dozens of thorns embedded in it - however, in spite of riding some of the thorniest terrain known to man, I didn't experience one flat in over a year.

Some non-tubeless tyres work better than others - from experience I can recommend Michelin XC Dry, Michelin AT, Panaracer Rampage, Maxxis Swampthing and HR. They all have good, smooth bead areas and non-porous sidewalls. I run Rampages on my Hummingbird 69er at about 20psi with no problem.
On the other hand I've attempted to run a pair of non UST Kenda Nevegals on Mavic 261 rims on my '88 Explosif and while they inflated fine I couldn't stop air leakage from the bead, no matter how much shaking and spinning the wheel I did - they would always be flat overnight.

If you're a tyre tart who changes tyres on a whim (like I used to do :oops: ) then tubeless probably isn't for you. However, if you have settled on one or two tyres that you like then I would recommend it, if only because you can run lower pressures in rocky terrain and have freedom from thorn punctures.

just finished setting up a pair of ghetto tubeless about 20 mins ago.
no obvious leaks, gonna wait till morning to see if they are still inflated before i trim the excess inner tube off.

Back